1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
333 Posts

Do you like Matthew McConaughey? You know, the guy who won an Oscar last year for Dallas Buyers' Club.Well Lincoln is hoping that you like him because it has just hired Matthew to be its premiere spokesperson.

“Matthew is a natural fit with Lincoln and where we are going as a brand,” Matt VanDyke, director, global Lincoln, said in a statement. “The transformation of Lincoln is well under way. With the MKC coming to market in a hot, competitive segment, now is the perfect opportunity to share to a wider audience what our brand offers. Matthew is the ideal personality to help us tell this story, and it is only the beginning of what we trust will be a fantastic relationship.”

Lincoln said McConaughey will “act as a storyteller” in the spots.

“He’s not just here to be showcased in a TV spot, we want to have a strong and authentic partnership with him,” said Stephane Cesareo, Lincoln’s communications manager. “It cannot be anyone else.”
What kind of effect do you think a good spokesperson can have on a brand? Will Mr. McConaughey drive Lincoln sales up?

·
Registered
324 Posts
See its not that they've lacked a good story teller in the past, they had John Slattery (Roger Sterling, Mad Men) doing the gig before, he was part of the MKZ launch, the problem is that the story hasn't been all that great.

New narrator, new story?

·
Super Moderator
76 Posts
Merged the two threads just so we don't have two conversations going.

autonews.com said:
Matt VanDyke, director of global Lincoln, said in a statement: “Matthew is a natural fit with Lincoln and where we are going as a brand... Matthew is the ideal personality to help us tell this story.”

McConaughey won the Best Actor Academy Award for his portrayal of an AIDS patient who procures unapproved HIV drugs and distributes them to fellow patients in the 2013 film Dallas Buyers Club.
The above quote struck me as funny. I was expecting them to reference The Lincoln Lawyer again. I think it is a smart marketing move by Lincoln and targets that demographic they're looking for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am watching the Eagles game, which is sponsored by the MKC, and the McConaughey commercial is playing relentlessly in the first quarter.

I guess the advertising barrage has begun.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am watching the Eagles game, which is sponsored by the MKC, and the McConaughey commercial is playing relentlessly in the first quarter.

I guess the advertising barrage has begun.
Played in the Washington vs Houston NFL game on Fox also.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I guess if you are seeing these advertisements on tv, then you are the target demographic. That is even more true since you are here on the forum as well.

Matthew was also in True Detective most recently. That was amazing.

I do believe its more about the story and the car than it is about the spokesperson. Matthew is a big star so it makes people take notice, but once people are looking, it is the car that they are actually buying.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The newest episode of South Park, "Handicar", skewers the Matthew McConaughey Lincoln ads.

"I drove a Handicar long before they paid me to" :laugh

·
Registered
333 Posts
The newest episode of South Park, "Handicar", skewers the Matthew McConaughey Lincoln ads.

"I drove a Handicar long before they paid me to" :laugh
O, I love South Park. I will have to check it out.

The commercials are pretty funny since they are so serious and broody. Funny, but not fun. Still interesting though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts