Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Picking up a preowned 2015 MKC Reserve in a few days. Thing is I need to drive it home about 7 hours with some Ikea packages inside. Where it gets tricky, is that the boxes will be very long and skinny. I'll have 6x boxes that are 96.5" long. They're only 3.5" wide so I'm hoping to stack either horizontally or vertically, but the question is if I move the passenger seat all the way forward, is there any way I can get them in there?

No tow hitch to rent a trailer and no time to install cross bars on the roof.

Really hoping I can make this fit! Anyone able to measure from basically the center console all the way back to the rear glass?

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think you are pushing the limits here. I have carried small sized 96" long lumber diagonally from the left rear corner of the cargo area through the space between the front seats. However, you have to place it carefully to avoid hitting the dash. I don't think you have enough length straight up the middle. You are probably better off moving the passenger seat all the way back and reclining it somewhat, and placing a towel or other padding over the armrest and passenger seat. There is only about 64" behind the front seats. You also have to be aware that closing the hatch may push the boxes further forward then you anticipate.

What is the other dimension of the boxes and how heavy are they?

After having had vans for the previous 28 years where I could carry 4'x8' sheets (after the tedious job of removing seats) or 10' long objects, I opted to get a good utility trailer and towing package when we downsized and upscaled to the Lincoln MKC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That was my concern. Each package is 20" x 3" x 96: and weighs 75LBS it looks like. And 6 of them, so I'm looking at a total width of 18" across the center console (when standing them on their side) and 450lbs. Sounds like this wouldn't be a great idea to try and haul. I see what you're saying about putting them diagonal and thats what I was envisioning but I didn't realize how much weight that was until just now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would say forget it. The size and weight would be excessive. Also you need to remember that the rear hatch slopes inward from the bottom up so you only have the maximum length at the bottom.

Even if you had crossbars on the roof, you would exceed the load rating there - maximum 50 lb for vehicles with the panoramic roof.

The MKC is not designed for hauling that kind of load except on a trailer. You can get a hitch installed by U-Haul but you would have to get the foot-operated hatch opening sensors changed as well.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I agree with the others...however there is a possibility of carrying this load, just not sure if it would cause you hassles with the cops: you can buy a 4'x 8' 3/4" plywood, jag cut it to perfectly fit the interior, and you'll end up with around 3' extending outward beyond the hatch....this would also mean you have to tie down the hatch AFTER you load your packages to stop movement.....you'd need a piece of RED material tied to the very back on the outside of the hatch as a warning to other motorists ( it's the law here in Canada)....I don't think the weight is any huge deal.....3 adults can easily weight in @ 450 lbs (150 lbs each, so no biggie there....lots of moving blankets to apply between the plywood and rear seat back when lowered for protection....and another blanket wrapped and tied down around the end of these boxes to protect the interior of the hatch....if executed well, you should be able to pull this off....one last thing: during your drive, stay in the slower lanes and have your 4 ways turned on.....good luck! OH and PREY for no rain :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha and even at that, I forgot to mention that it's an almost 7 hour drive!

I just decided to skip it for this time.. I'll come back with my truck later

Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts