Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The 2016 MKC was purchased just about 1 year ago. The miles until empty when i bought the car from the dealer was in the 360s range after a fill up. This range steadily fell over the winter after fill ups to the 270s. I took the vehiccle to the dealer and the system was reset so the tech said the readings would rise over time . Now i must say the vehicle has been used for mostly short trips less than 10 miles over the year. The system stayed in the 270s for the last couple of months with the same driving habits. Then the "battery message" warnings started so i replaced the battery at the dealer. Walla, the reading on the first fill up was 415 and has stayed that way for the last few fill ups. Can anyone explain how this could happen?

Registered
I have heard other complaints of the same thing. I am at the 360's, I was boasting about my car jumping to 415 now I am back to the 360's. 馃槖

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
After the dealer reset the computer they said,driving habits have something to do with this. I say, BS because the driving habits have not changed at all in one year. The range has been as low as 271 and now 415. The original battery also brought back ground effects when nearing the vehicle. The whole thing is puzzling. Thanks for the feedback copbait!

Registered
I'm another that was in the mid-300s to now the mid 200s. The drop started without any driving habit changes, and seemed sudden. I am driving a lot less now and the max range doesn't seemed to change with that. Really bizarre...

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Replacing the battery changed everything here. Rather than manually resetting the system as the dealer did perhaps by completely disconnecting the battery with a short wait would do the trick. I hope to talk to a mechanic the next time i get to the dealer. i am beginning to think the vehicle controls us and we don't really control it. Thanks starzplacez.

Registered
I can't remember exactly when but I have needed to replace my battery once already during my ownership. However, I don't recall the boost in MTE range. IF there were, the effect were short-lived. My question is actually if burns more gas, or just a instrumentation issue? I also noted that my MPG display in the lefthand circle seems to remain steady throughout all this. I've always kept it around 22 MPG, it's not great, but then again I drive like a maniac from time to time.

Registered
The distance to empty is calculated based on fuel consumption over the last few tankfuls. That is my experience over the last three plus years.

Registered
My experience with mile range car computers have been very inaccurate. There are so many variables when it comes to gas mileage. Weight, stoplights, lead foot, elevation changes... Ultimately, it's the tiny gas tank that ruins the range of our MKC's. Combined with very mediocre gas mileage.

Premium Member
My experience with mile range car computers have been very inaccurate. There are so many variables when it comes to gas mileage. Weight, stoplights, lead foot, elevation changes... Ultimately, it's the tiny gas tank that ruins the range of our MKC's. Combined with very mediocre gas mileage.
The range estimate is based on past driving habits. What you actually get is based on current driving habits. When I on vacation with 8 hours a day on the road and I fill up with a hand calculated MPG of 31+, my MKC 2.0L FWD initial range is listed in the area of 425 miles. Then I get home and drive it around, my local calculated MPG drops to 23ish - so my range starts to drop with each fill-up typically settling in with an initial range around 350 miles. The range changes as you drive, adapting a bit to whatever your current mpg is. I have found it to be very accurate and very predictable.

Registered
The 2016 MKC was purchased just about 1 year ago. The miles until empty when i bought the car from the dealer was in the 360s range after a fill up. This range steadily fell over the winter after fill ups to the 270s. I took the vehiccle to the dealer and the system was reset so the tech said the readings would rise over time . Now i must say the vehicle has been used for mostly short trips less than 10 miles over the year. The system stayed in the 270s for the last couple of months with the same driving habits. Then the "battery message" warnings started so i replaced the battery at the dealer. Walla, the reading on the first fill up was 415 and has stayed that way for the last few fill ups. Can anyone explain how this could happen?

Registered
Have any of you manually checked your actual milage when you fill up. Simple way to check readings.

Registered
The range estimate is based on past driving habits. What you actually get is based on current driving habits. When I on vacation with 8 hours a day on the road and I fill up with a hand calculated MPG of 31+, my MKC 2.0L FWD initial range is listed in the area of 425 miles. Then I get home and drive it around, my local calculated MPG drops to 23ish - so my range starts to drop with each fill-up typically settling in with an initial range around 350 miles. The range changes as you drive, adapting a bit to whatever your current mpg is. I have found it to be very accurate and very predictable.
You are absolutely right - driving range will vary according to you most recent mpg results - I got 9.3 litres/100 km on a non-stop 3 1/2 hr highway run on Monday. My latest numbers are 10.4 l/100 km in the city so obviously the range per tank will decrease.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts