Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased an Extended Service Plan (ESP) for their MKC from a dealership or directly from the Lincoln website? If so, for how many miles/years, the deductible amount chosen, and what was the actual cost? Thank you in advance for sharing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We bought the ESP for $1715 from the dealership, no deductible. 6 years or 120,000 kilometers. We had the ESP on our C-Max and liked the plan so we decided to go ahead with one for the MKC. We get a big refund back from the ESP on the C-Max so that helps pay for this one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Being a vehicle in it's first year of production, it's not one i'd consider keeping forever as they are most prone to having problems. Rather get rid of it a year or so before warranty is up. Maybe if i like it, i'll buy another new MKC and get extended on that and keep it for a long time. That is something i recommend doing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We bought the ESP for $1715 from the dealership, no deductible. 6 years or 120,000 kilometers. We had the ESP on our C-Max and liked the plan so we decided to go ahead with one for the MKC. We get a big refund back from the ESP on the C-Max so that helps pay for this one.
Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being a vehicle in it's first year of production, it's not one i'd consider keeping forever as they are most prone to having problems. Rather get rid of it a year or so before warranty is up. Maybe if i like it, i'll buy another new MKC and get extended on that and keep it for a long time. That is something i recommend doing.
Like the MKC a lot. Agree with you about newly designed first year vehicles but that's why the ESP can provide peace of mind. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Like the MKC a lot. Agree with you about newly designed first year vehicles but that's why the ESP can provide peace of mind. Thanks for your input.
We bought the ESP for the C-Max because it was in year one of production, and the ESP did give us great peace of mind. Same rationale for the MKC.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't confuse an extended service plan with an extended warranty. While neither is usually a wise financial choice, the service plan pays for scheduled maintenance and the warranty covers things breaking. It would be much cheaper to handle the routine maintenance yourself, and barring the ability to do that, to take it to a reputable independent garage rather than a dealer. As for extended warranties, I've never bought one on many, many vehicles over the years and I'm FAR ahead by skipping them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't confuse an extended service plan with an extended warranty. While neither is usually a wise financial choice, the service plan pays for scheduled maintenance and the warranty covers things breaking. It would be much cheaper to handle the routine maintenance yourself, and barring the ability to do that, to take it to a reputable independent garage rather than a dealer. As for extended warranties, I've never bought one on many, many vehicles over the years and I'm FAR ahead by skipping them.
Lincoln/Ford call their extended warranty plans "Extended Service Plans (ESP)". The feedback I was looking for in this thread concerns Lincoln's extended warranty plans or ESP. I understand your point of view regarding the cost of ESPs but it's hard to put a dollar value on "peace of mind". Thanks for your input.

Reactions: laurel

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chas -- I did purchase the Extended Service Plan for the MKC. I tend to keep my cars a long time, so I felt it was worth it. I purchased the 7 year, 100K mile plan. I believe it cost around $2500, which I thought was a bit high, but given all the electronics involved in this vehicle it began to make sense (I hope I wasn't "taken" on this by the dealer).

That said, I kept both my last 2 vehicles for ten years. I do not believe I drive my cars "hard"; in fact, I make sure I keep up with all scheduled maintenance.

In each case, I purchased a 7 year extended warranty, and had no (as in zero) claims for six years. Then, in both cases, during the 7th and final year a couple of things went wrong and I got my warranty money back, and then some. The two vehicles, by the way, were a 1995 Mazda Millenia (bought in '94) and a 2004 Acura TL (bought in '04). Both these vehicles had excellent quality ratings, and were in fact quite good -- but during the seventh year, things just happen.

So for what it's worth -- that's been my experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chas -- I did purchase the Extended Service Plan for the MKC. I tend to keep my cars a long time, so I felt it was worth it. I purchased the 7 year, 100K mile plan. I believe it cost around $2500, which I thought was a bit high, but given all the electronics involved in this vehicle it began to make sense (I hope I wasn't "taken" on this by the dealer).

That said, I kept both my last 2 vehicles for ten years. I do not believe I drive my cars "hard"; in fact, I make sure I keep up with all scheduled maintenance.

In each case, I purchased a 7 year extended warranty, and had no (as in zero) claims for six years. Then, in both cases, during the 7th and final year a couple of things went wrong and I got my warranty money back, and then some. The two vehicles, by the way, were a 1995 Mazda Millenia (bought in '94) and a 2004 Acura TL (bought in '04). Both these vehicles had excellent quality ratings, and were in fact quite good -- but during the seventh year, things just happen.

So for what it's worth -- that's been my experience.
Obviously, the value of ESPs is in the eye of the beholder. It's not for everyone but we are of like minds on this issue. I got one estimate of $2995 for the Premium Care ESP, for 8 yrs, 100K miles, $0 deductible, payable over 18 months. Lincoln website had the same ESP for $3155. It's a lot to pay for "peace of mind" on a first year vehicle but I think I will go ahead and purchase the ESP. If I never use the ESP at all, I would still be happy in knowing that I had a high quality vehicle that didn't require repair over 8 years or 100K miles. If I do use it then the ESP purchase was a good decision. Only time will tell. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For Ford ESP, I know there are a few Ford dealers that sell them at deep discounts online, at a price most dealers won't go near. The same might be the case with Lincoln.

As for oil changes, I rarely have the dealer do these myself. But I've learned the hard way that if something fails after the warranty people who have one dealer do all their service are much more likely to receive out of warranty assistance from Ford.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Those are the ones I was thinking of. I wasn't sure whether they could also sell Lincoln warranties. Thanks for confirming this.

The way these dealers undercut others is by selling the warranties at or even below their cost then turning a profit on volume-based bonuses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those thinking about purchasing an extended warranty, check out Flood Ford ESP and Zeigler Ford ESP.

They had the lowest cost I've found for Ford/Lincoln extended warranties.

Flood Ford Extended Warranty - Geniune Ford ESP Sales

Zeigler Ford ESP: Ford Extended Service Plans at highly discounted prices. Lowest Price Guarantee!
Thank you so much for the info. Flood Ford has the best pricing I've seen so far ($2100) for the ESP plan and terms I am interested in. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As I have the 20" wheels, I took out the Lincoln wheel/tire insurance. First time I took such an offering but twice I have had new cars with less than 500 miles get a screw in the sidewall. The 20" wheels run ~$1300 each (the 19" are about $100 more!) and the tires ~$350.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No need for extended warranty just trade it in every three years. Never pay for a repair.

Reactions: JefffromNH

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No need for extended warranty just trade it in every three years. Never pay for a repair.
Trading a vehicle in every 3 years will cost you a lot more in depreciation than the cost of an ESP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts