Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the lights (red & white) in the lower rear bumper for? When do they activate? Can't find any reference to them in the car's manual. :confused:

·
Registered
266 Posts
What are the lights (red & white) in the lower rear bumper for? When do they activate? Can't find any reference to them in the car's manual. :confused:
They light up when the rear hatch is raised, since there are no lights in the "fender" area...all are in the hatch. Don't know if it has to be dark, or if they light anytime the hatch is opened.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would guess that's a safety thing. If you open the trunk on the side of the road, you would still want some lights on so that other drivers know that you are there.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Have you tried turning on the emergency flashers and checking to see if they show in those lower light areas? Audi Q5's & Q7's have the same lighting arrangement. My guess is it satifies the safety requirement if you are by the side of the road or other situation and have the clamshell liftgate, and hence all the normal taillights, raised and not visible to other traffic approaching from behind.

Reactions: goepfrich

·
Registered
54 Posts
I checked the lower light functionality last night.
As soon as the hatch begins to go up, the lower/bumper level lights take on signal, brake, and taillight functions. Great if you have to haul something that requires the hatch to be in anything other than the closed position.

You can watch this happen by activating on the hazard lights and raise and lower the hatch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rear Fog light option?

I would be really great if these lights, similar to what Audi does, could also act as rear fog lights to make the vehicle stand out to other drivers in low visibility situations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts