Lincoln MKC Forum banner

MKC Test Drive and First Impressions

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  CombsAuthor 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks to TxTom we went to see a pre-production MKC today and had the thrill of test driving a manufacturers model today. Here are my first impressions:

Styling -

Very nice lines and styling from front to back. The grill was aggressive, yet was very distinctive. The rear lights flowed across the back nicely while the chrome pipes gave it a custom look. The side profile was smooth but had nice flares around the wheel wells.

Interior -

This is where Lincoln will shine over all of their competition in this popular marketplace. The leather was noticeably soft and smooth yet the seats had great support. The wood trim was a nice refreshing change in this era of plastic appointments. The fit and finish were excellent in every way. It was easy to get in and out of, and the panoramic roof is a "must have" on our list. It definitely did not feel like I was sitting in a vehicle that had a base price that began in the $30's

Drive and mechanics -

If I had to use a single word to describe the ride of the MKC it would easily be "quiet." Acceleration was noticeably brisk with the 2.3L Ecoboost engine. Getting from 60 mph to 80 mph was effortless and pushing the accelerator down at a standing stop set me back in my seat. A piece of shredded lumber in the middle lane of the highway was easily avoided and didn't cause any swaying or even the hint of a loss of control. The steering is tight and responsive while offering unbelievable comfort and peace. Paddle shifters made downshifting and gear selection convenient.

Controls -

The steering wheel controls are easy to manage after taking the time to become familiar. Of course so much can be accomplished by using the voice commands of MyLincolnTouch but the standard cruise control and stereo controls are easy to manage. Also on the wheel are toggle switches for viewing current songs that are playing, phone calls, navigation, and climate settings, as well as vehicle settings, fuel usage statistics, and trip odometer information. Entertainment and climate controls are adjusted with physical knobs and switches that can be reached without looking away from the road.

Passenger comfort -

Leg room in the front is good and the higher profile gives the front occupants a commanding view of the road. The back seat is comfortable with the same soft leather and they separately recline which is a very welcome feature on long trips. Rear leg room is nothing to write home about but was average for the overall size of the MKC. Arm rests are well positioned although the back center armrest was noticeably small. The center console was deep and there was a handy tray with a sliding door in the front under the stereo and climate stack that had two USB plugs for the phone along with a 12v accessory plug.

Storage and function -

The MKC has nice storage room behind the rear seat. A retractable cover easily hides common items that cannot be stored elsewhere. There are no strut pillars to interfere with cargo loading which makes it a functional utility vehicle. The AWD was not tested but was also not noticeable in weight or handling in everyday driving. Clearance was "car like" and would be adequate for everyday driving. Off-road use would not be advisable.

Overall Impression -

Quiet and smooth with nice lines and distinctive styling make the MKC a top choice on my list. A compact size for maneuvering yet very roomy inside left me without a hint of doubt that this was a very well designed vehicle. The outstanding features are by far the abundance of technology that was incorporated into the MKC that the competition has not been able to touch at this price point. Lincoln has hit the home run that they stepped up to the plate and dreamed to knock out of the park.

I posted other photos in the gallery called "MKC Test Drive"

Lincoln MKC Forum - CombsAuthor's Album: MKC Test Drive

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Agree 100% with CombsAuthor's review. I drove the Silver Sand w/White Sands interior (2.3 AWD) Select option. The Ruby Red Metallic w/Hazelnut interior (also 2.3 AWD) Reserve option was on showroom, but battery was not connected. This one was built 11/13, and the Silver Sand 2/14. No quality differences between the two...both exceptional , even considering pre-production status. Dealer said their first batch of inventory cars (2.0 FWDs) are planned for build dates starting 5/13...but no one knows how soon they'll be released and at the dealer. June sometime is best guess...

Car is very quick, and rides great. Closing the door has a solid, "heavy" feel/sound. One neat thing is by pushing the "S" (Sport mode) transmission button, automatically changes the steering calibration, transmission shift points, and suspension...but doesn't require using the paddle shifters. Can also set the Comfort/Normal/Sport setting via the dashboard display set-up.

In my opinion, only two things missing, and one questionable design/production issue (?). No direct tire pressure display, only if low, or out of norm with another tire. I like to see the actual pressure. But apparently none of the Ford/Lincoln products offer this. The other thing is that for the rear camera, at least withe the Select option, the guide lines do not follow the turning of the vehicle. They're fixed, but have 2 outside guides, and a center guide. Maybe the Reserve option is different? The questionable thing we (Sales & myself) couldn't figure out is the rear wiper. On both units, the wiper blade extended about 2 inches beyond the wiper holding unit. Looks odd...needs a wider bracket, or shorter blade. (See photo #3 of CombsAuthor's review. Hopefully a production fix is planned!

Car is very quiet, but under extreme acceleration (my guess 0-60 easily under 7.0 secs) sounds like a beefy V-6...not a 4 cyl. Well done, Lincoln. Like the pushbutton transmission controls...adds room in the console area. The electronic parking brake is accessed lower dash, left of steering wheel. Pull to set, push to release. Folding mirrors fold when closing the doors, I think when locking...and open out as you enter and close the driver door. Also a button on the driver's door panel.

Before going to see the car, and just studying the interior specs, FYI rear legroom, I was not certain about the amount of room back there. I'm 6'0" and don't set the driver's seat more than half way back usually. Setting the seat for me, the sitting in the back seat, there was plenty of legroom...knees could have extended another 3 inches.

#6 ·
We are traveling in the same circles Tom!

Went over there this evening and drove a Platinum White with the White Sands interior. This was a 2.0L AWD with panorama roof (Reserve), the Climate and the Technology Packages.

There is a big difference between the 2.0L and the 2.3L for overall power. The 2.0L is very peppy and will certainly be more than enough zip for the average driver. I was actually surprised at how quickly it got us up to 60 and beyond. The 2.3L has noticeable power and will never be lacking in any driving situation with this compact SUV. It won't beat a Ferrari, but will get you from 70 to 85 in just a few seconds.

The technology in Ford products is fantastic and the MKC did not disappoint in its features. The adaptive cruise control, lane keeper, and blind spot monitoring are all "must haves" on my list. I've never sat in an air conditioned seat before and that was a unique experience which I don't know if it is worth the bucks or not...but my beautiful bride really liked it, so we know that they will be on the final ride. One nice thing is that the front passenger seat had full controls including an adjustable lumbar support.

Decibels measured 72 - 75 on the highway, so it really is a quiet ride. This number dropped by about 2-3 when the roof shade was closed.

Dealer said that their first deliveries should be in late May which is consistent with what everyone has been hearing. Most customer orders for the 2.0L are getting VIN numbers right away.

#8 ·
We are traveling in the same circles Tom!

Went over there this evening and drove a Platinum White with the White Sands interior. This was a 2.0L AWD with panorama roof (Reserve), the Climate and the Technology Packages.

There is a big difference between the 2.0L and the 2.3L for overall power. The 2.0L is very peppy and will certainly be more than enough zip for the average driver. I was actually surprised at how quickly it got us up to 60 and beyond. The 2.3L has noticeable power and will never be lacking in any driving situation with this compact SUV. It won't beat a Ferrari, but will get you from 70 to 85 in just a few seconds.

The technology in Ford products is fantastic and the MKC did not disappoint in its features. The adaptive cruise control, lane keeper, and blind spot monitoring are all "must haves" on my list. I've never sat in an air conditioned seat before and that was a unique experience which I don't know if it is worth the bucks or not...but my beautiful bride really liked it, so we know that they will be on the final ride. One nice thing is that the front passenger seat had full controls including an adjustable lumbar support.

Decibels measured 72 - 75 on the highway, so it really is a quiet ride. This number dropped by about 2-3 when the roof shade was closed.

Dealer said that their first deliveries should be in late May which is consistent with what everyone has been hearing. Most customer orders for the 2.0L are getting VIN numbers right away.
I had an Escape 2.0 Ecoboost in November of last as a rental. Its so peppy even in standard mode, when you flip into sport and it keeps the Revs on boil for longer is wayy too much fun. Economy was tragic at that point, but god was I enjoying myself ;) Is there a Sportier mode on the MKC? I don't remember reading in any of the marketing talk if there was or not...

One other question for you testers, how did the steering feel? On that same escape the steering was electric and far too light for my taste...

#13 ·
Yep - the 2.0 had Sport mode as well as three driving modes selectable from the left side toggle on the steering wheel. They were very noticeable in the steering and in the suspension.

As a side note, we just got back from a trip to Denver where I had the unfortunate thrill of renting a Hyundai Santa Fe... Boy was I ever wishing that we had that MKC ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.