Lincoln MKC Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's probably to make sure that all the electrical components are all completely discharged. Ensures a fresh reboot of the SYNC system and software. Probably overkill but I'd do it anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All is OK. Battery disconnect for 15 minutes with headlights on seemed to work! Yesterday afternoon we disconnected the battery for 15 minutes per instructions in this forum, and so far, so good. Everything seems to be working as new (actually better than new, as even when new the red icon was always off to one side of the road). I will continue to check the operation and if any changes, will advise on this forum. I saved a half-hour drive each way to the dealer, time to leave and pick up and using a lender, or having my wife give me a ride while in service. Also eliminated was the dreaded "Cannot duplicate" report sometimes given to us when having a car serviced. Thanks to all.

The hardest part of the job was getting started, followed by removing the battery cover and even harder was getting the cover back on. Luckily I did this during the day outside, rather than my usual midnight mechanical work in the garage in dim light.

Fritz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi I have a 2016 MKC with sync 3 that I picked up 3 days ago and I have the exact same problem. The cursor moves off the intended route while the map is constantly rotating on the screen. I am always getting commands to make left and right turns while I am on the highway so that the cursor can get back on the route! Very frustrating.
Great idea on taking a picture of the map and cursor to show the service dept. I have an appointment on Monday.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is what I did, as shown on my previous post and it worked quickly and immediately and has been working since: Yesterday afternoon we disconnected the battery for 15 minutes per instructions in this forum, and so far, so good. Everything seems to be working as new (actually better than new, as even when new the red icon was always off to one side of the road). I will continue to check the operation and if any changes, will advise on this forum. I saved a half-hour drive each way to the dealer, time to leave and pick up and using a lender, or having my wife give me a ride while in service. Also eliminated was the dreaded "Cannot duplicate" report sometimes given to us when having a car serviced.

I would try this for sure before wasting time with the dealership, as it will probably work for you.

The hardest part of the job was getting started, followed by removing the battery cover and even harder was getting the cover back on. Luckily I did this during the day outside, rather than my usual midnight mechanical work in the garage in dim light.

Fred

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought about doing that but I am not the handiest person around automobiles. Since I also have a few other issues such as the rear drivers side door getting stuck, the welcome lights not working properly and some condensation in the headlights I'll have the dealer check everything out together.

I did take some pics of the nav screen and I will also print out that TSB fix from the similar C Max issue to show the dealer just in case.

I'll post back with the results, thank for everybody's help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Siruis fix will also help with this. They install a new antenna.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The service advisor said thats what they were told to do by Lincoln tech support. The antenna will be in Monday, then out for painting and hopefully installed by the end of next week.
Glad to hear this may be a fix as the service advisor wasn't sure. He called it a first step.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Antenna did not do the trick. Dealer seems to be at a loss as to how to proceed now.
Getting a little frustrated.
Car in my hands-3 days
At the service dept.-9 and counting

·
Registered
214 Posts
Antenna did not do the trick. Dealer seems to be at a loss as to how to proceed now.
Getting a little frustrated.
Car in my hands-3 days
At the service dept.-9 and counting
I don't blame you for being frustrated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Disapointed

I took my 2015 for its first real road trip from NY to Florida. The Navagation system is a joke. I was on Interstate 95 and it showed I was either in the woods or in the water or if was on a street was about 150 ft right or left of my position and was giving me directions to get back on course. A few times when the prompts came up to advise of an accident or road construction , I pressed ignore and it was acting like I pressed Avoid. I stopped at a rest area and called Lincoln they had me remove the Nav Disc and wait and then re insert. They had me open and close my drivers door. I tried this and went on my way only to find same problem existed. The system worked about 60 % of the time.
When I got to Florida I took to a local Linc dealer and I gave them the TSB # listed in this forum and they said that my vehicle was built after the TSB date and would not work. They did the battery disconnect thing, and I went on my way. On way back home the system was no better and actually got me lost one time before I realized it was off track again. If not for my wifes nav on her phone it would have been a real mess driving thru DC and Baltimore .
When returned home I called Linc and they have record of my phone calls and trip to Fl dealer but no fix. They told me to take to local dealer.
I have owned several other nav equiped cars ,None of them Ford products, and NEVER had these problems. This is my only daily driver and Linc didnt even offer a loanner car, they said upto the dealer. Not very good customer service. I did take pictures of the screen when showed me off track.
I'll have to wait a few weeks to get car to local dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the exact same problem with the GPS in my 2015 MKC and here is what I previously posted in case you missed it:

Here is what I did and it worked quickly and immediately and has been working since: I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes per instructions in this forum, and after reconnecting the battery, everything seems to be working as new (actually better than new, as even when new the red icon was always off to one side of the road). I will continue to check the operation and if any changes, will advise on this forum. By handling this myself I saved a half-hour drive each way to the dealer, time to leave and pick up and return a lender, or having my wife give me a ride to work while car is being serviced. Also eliminated was the dreaded "Cannot duplicate" report sometimes given to us when having a car serviced.

I would try this for sure before wasting time with the dealership, as it will probably work for you.

The hardest part of the job was removing the battery cover and even harder was getting the cover back on. Luckily I did this during the day outside, rather than my usual midnight mechanical work in the garage in dim light.

I know that many Lincoln owners will not want to do this, so my suggestion is to take it to the dealer with a printout of this post and ask them to give this a try. Computers are really touchy, but sometimes even with a home computer that is acting up, the answer is to power it down and then restart. In effect by disconnecting the battery you are powering down the GPS computer.

My wife has a 2014 MKZ with a similar GPS as my 2015 MKC and no issues of any kind with the MKZ.

Fred

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info, Supposedly that is what the dealer in Florida did to the car.
I know he did something because all my settings returned to the default factory settings. I lost all my prestored nav destinations. But anything is worth a try.
The other problem is the problem doesn't happen in local driving only a a long road trip.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had the exact same problem with the GPS in my 2015 MKC and here is what I previously posted in case you missed it:

Here is what I did and it worked quickly and immediately and has been working since: I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes per instructions in this forum, and after reconnecting the battery, everything seems to be working as new (actually better than new, as even when new the red icon was always off to one side of the road). I will continue to check the operation and if any changes, will advise on this forum. By handling this myself I saved a half-hour drive each way to the dealer, time to leave and pick up and return a lender, or having my wife give me a ride to work while car is being serviced. Also eliminated was the dreaded "Cannot duplicate" report sometimes given to us when having a car serviced.

The hardest part of the job was removing the battery cover and even harder was getting the cover back on. Luckily I did this during the day outside, rather than my usual midnight mechanical work in the garage in dim light.

I know that many Lincoln owners will not want to do this, so my suggestion is to take it to the dealer with a printout of this post and ask them to give this a try. Computers are really touchy, but sometimes even with a home computer that is acting up, the answer is to power it down and then restart. In effect by disconnecting the battery you are powering down the GPS computer.

My wife has a 2014 MKZ with a similar GPS as my 2015 MKC and no issues of any kind with the MKZ.

Fred
Just curious, and I know it's probably a silly question, but with the disconnection of the battery, is it the positive connection or the negative? Also, do you start the car first so it is running when you disconnect? And I seem to remember another post where they said the headlights need to be "on" too...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Always disconnect the negative terminal first. This is a safety measure. If you disconnect the positive terminal while negative is connected, there is a small chance that the wrench you are using may contact the vehicle, which is not a good thing. In a worst case scenario the wrench touching the positive post/cable could contact a ring on one of your fingers which was in contact with the car. Placing a large amount of current through a ring you are wearing would heat it significantly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gerry I looked at the paper work and I they actually fixed it with the following TSB. It worked fine after. I think they didn't actually do a master reset as all of our favorites were still there, and generally they are lost with the master reset. A few C-Maxers had no resolution of the problem with the TSB and they had new GPS Modules installed. But here is the TSB that worked for us. 14-0037
TSB 14-0037

GLOBAL POSITIONING SATELLITE MODULE (GPSM) - NAVIGATION DISPLAY OFFSET OR INCORRECT POSITION BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/6/2014

Publication Date: February 21, 2014

FORD: 2013 Fiesta, 2013-2014: C-MAX, Focus, Fusion, Mustang, Taurus
LINCOLN: 2013-2014 MKS, MKZ
FORD: 2013-2014 E-Series, Edge, Escape, Expedition, Explorer, F-Super Duty, Flex
LINCOLN: 2013-2014 MKT, MKX, Navigator

ISSUE:

Some 2013-2014 vehicles equipped with SYNC® and/or MyFord Touch®, MyLincoln Touch® and built on or before 1/6/2014 may exhibit navigation display offset or incorrect position. The last known vehicle location may be displayed instead of current location, or the vehicle location may be displayed as off road from the current vehicle position.

ACTION:

Reprogram the GPSM to the latest calibration using IDS release 89.02 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
140037A Reprogram The GPSM Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE 10E893 04
Last edited by DanMc85; 04-03-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Remove Advertisements
Sponsored Links
Why does it say files can be obtained at the link,when you clearly cant?

·
Super Moderator
336 Posts
The gpsm would require specialized equipment to update, at a bare minimum forscan with version 2.4 plus. If you do not have access to this or some other way to do firmware updates the files would not do any good anyway, if you do have access to forscan they can download the files for you right into the interface

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok.....then why mention the files at all?I did a hard reset myself and things seemed to work out.This was my only option,because the local dealership wanted $135.00/hr and quoted a 6.5hr job.When i explained i could put in a complete aftermarket system for less than that,she said,"why not just use your phone?"Really?A service tech suggested to use my phone instead of their equipment.This will be the last Lincoln i buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing i will mention.I unhooked the negative,waited 15-20mins,hooked it back up,and all my settings were still there.Still even had the wallpaper i had downloaded to it.Dunno if that makes a difference or not.

·
Super Moderator
336 Posts
The original poster just posted a "tsb" which is more internal ford documents rather than something for public distribution because it requires a level of education and equipment for it to be useful.

What is your car doing and I will try to guide to to the best option?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts