Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 2016 MKC a few months and are disappointed with the outdated navigation maps. It appears they were last updated in 2014. Are any of you having issues with these maps?
Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I actually contacted Lincoln last August on the maps and was informed that they are most up to date... Which does seem to be a bit behind.

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a few instances where it did not recognize addresses that are manually entered, mostly when I am in Montreal. I live in NH and travel there often. I don't know if it is because I have the US version or because it is out of date. The site says I am up to date. I sent in the question to Lincoln along with can I load and run both US and Quebec SW at the same time.

Otherwise it seems to work just as good as any other commerical nav unit I have used before and all are just as inaccurate too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I often use a combination of the built-in navi and Google Maps through Android Auto.

For example, I'm headed to Tennessee next week and my destination is in an area without cell reception. No problem getting there, as the maps and routes in Google will already be loaded before I lose reception. But on departure, I'll be using the navi to get me out to civilization.

Since I usually research my destination in Google Maps before my departure, I've found the Android Auto app matches my spoken search request with a previous search pretty quickly and accurately.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have used my onboard nav system twice since I've had my MKC (more due to curiousity of seeing how the onboard nav compared to Google Maps and Waze. In my experience the onboard nav is not as good with directions and Google Maps is just so much faster and easier to set-up (such as OK Google Navigate to Cheesecake Factory) . I'd really like Google to provide option to use Waze instead of just Google Maps as I find Waze even better. One day Google will just combine the two.

In my opinion automakers need to drop the whole standalone onboard navigation system and integrate deeply with Android Auto (and Apple counterpart as well). Google Maps (Android Auto) are always updated while the vehicle loaded maps are out of date even when the new model year rolls out. The charge for onboard map updates is also just too ridiculously priced.

And to address OP's question, the Lincoln update shows 2016 has most up to date maps - hard to believe as they have to be at least 18-24 months old already.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I contacted Lincoln last year about the outdated maps. They told me to contact the provider of the map software (sorry, but I have forgotten the name) which I did. The software company told me to go to their website where I could input any corrections and they would then review them. I tried to do that but the sottware was difficult to use and would not accept my inputs. I finally just gave up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I think Lincoln (Ford) needs to get a new nav map vendor. There's no excuse for having 2014 or older maps in my 2016 MKC and with no way to get an update.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I think Lincoln (Ford) needs to get a new nav map vendor. There's no excuse for having 2014 or older maps in my 2016 MKC and with no way to get an update.

They may be limited as to who the vendor is - I would suspect the Sync System is built to interface with specific navigation engines (software).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's the SD card that's to blame - unlike a TomTom or Garmin, there is no continuous data update - whatever is on the card when you took delivery is what you're stuck with.
When I had issues with the navigation on a trip to RI last summer, my service manager replaced the SD card with a newer version than the one that came with my '15 MKC.
Ask your service manager for a new SD card.
While not perfect, it solved many of the addressing issues that I experienced. I'm planning on purchasing a TomTom for reliable data going forward, as the navigation will never be accurate.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It's the SD card that's to blame - unlike a TomTom or Garmin, there is no continuous data update - whatever is on the card when you took delivery is what you're stuck with.
When I had issues with the navigation on a trip to RI last summer, my service manager replaced the SD card with a newer version than the one that came with my '15 MKC.
Ask your service manager for a new SD card.
While not perfect, it solved many of the addressing issues that I experienced. I'm planning on purchasing a TomTom for reliable data going forward, as the navigation will never be accurate.

I don't think there is an SD card for Sync3.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I inquired at the dealer about a map update and was told it would have to be purchased but the service advisor did not know the cost. Prior to the MKC I had a Toyota Venza and when I inquired about the map update I was quoted a cost of $200 which is absolutely ridiculous considering that Tom Tom, Garmin, etc. provide lifetime map updates in many cases depending on the device model purchased.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I inquired at the dealer about a map update and was told it would have to be purchased but the service advisor did not know the cost. Prior to the MKC I had a Toyota Venza and when I inquired about the map update I was quoted a cost of $200 which is absolutely ridiculous considering that Tom Tom, Garmin, etc. provide lifetime map updates in many cases depending on the device model purchased.
It is expensive because Ford is writing it's own code for SYNC now, Ford builds cars, not SW OS's and Applications. The dept writing the code also has to turn a profit too. True, it would make more sense to just integrate a existing Nav System like TomTom or Garmin but there could be some issues with the SW intergration on to our platforms or some issues with data rights too we don't know about. Many times the solution may be simple and easy but the owner of the simple solution may not want to sell you the simple solution or want way to much money for it. IF you think Sync is expensive, Mercedes Benz update, good for 3 yeas, is currently $750. Lexus $189-$210 per year, GM about $150 per year, VW $99 per year.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The map software costs for all manufacturers nav systems is ridiculous. They need to get together and offer one system. Who in their right mind would pay $750 for a map update when google maps/driving directions is available on a smart phone? It would be interesting to know by manufacturer, how many sales they actually make on map updates....my guess would not be very many.

Reactions: Pete

·
Registered
99 Posts
The map software costs for all manufacturers nav systems is ridiculous. They need to get together and offer one system. Who in their right mind would pay $750 for a map update when google maps/driving directions is available on a smart phone? It would be interesting to know by manufacturer, how many sales they actually make on map updates....my guess would not be very many.
Well that is MB and it is for 3 years, not one so it's only $250 a year. As they say you got to pay to play. Yes if I had bought a MB instead of this, which I did come very close to doing, I would pay it and not complain about it either. We own luxury CUV's and it just cost's more to maintain, it is just the way it is. To help put it in perspective an OEM Lincoln Center Cap is $45.00 and OEM Ford Escape Center Cap is $16.00, both are made of plastic and perform the exact same function.

As for who pays for updates, I think more people would if the update was easily available. With my VW I got a card in the mail directing me to a website to order it but I have been lazy and did not do it, I don't use the Nav much in it. I will do the next up date tho just to keep it current. Personally I think all manufactures should ensure all the SW in the vehicle is up to date when ever it is brought into a dealership for service, for the life of the car.

·
Registered
881 Posts
For the record, I NEVER had one issue with any of my Garmin nav systems....it's what I have been using in my truck and another one in my Mustang....I get notified by Garmin when updates related to my registered units become available....bring them in, plug them to my MAC and it's done...simple and very effective! Possibly the only thing I hate about my MKC is the nav....piece of crap!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We've had our 2016 MKC a few months and are disappointed with the outdated navigation maps. It appears they were last updated in 2014. Are any of you having issues with these maps?

Thanks.

Have 2015, Mom just picked up 2017, l know SYNC 3 vs SYNC 2, but noticed her map and Speed Limit were more accurate(up to date). No SD card by USB ports so,just couldn't try in mine 2015. So was curious about update for my SYNC 2, new nav SD cards available for sale on my Lincoln, $149 or $159 depending which update you get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
647 Posts
I got the latest map update from Lincoln back in April at no charge. It was one of the things they did to try and win back my loyalty after a lengthy list of problems with my 2015 MKC.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just saw an ad for Genesis vehicles and noticed one of their enticements is free map updates for five years. That's what Lincoln and other luxury brands need to do too!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Honestly, the navigation is weak compared to what Google Maps and Waze brings to the table. Even with maps updated they are out of date while Maps and Waze are updated weekly. Regardless of the out of date maps Maps and Waze are much easier to use.

On MKC Nav, Press "Speak", say "Navigation" and then proceed with battling the system to try to get the right place. Compare to Google Maps and Waze when I just say "Google, Navigate to Whiskey Joes" and boom it's done. I'd still be trying to get MKC Navigation to understand what I said or meant and still probably didn't have it right. Or tell Google to navigate to nearest Shell station, MKC Nav system would just be confused. Re-routing and changes to destination are all much easier with GM/W.

So looking forward to Waze being included in Android Auto, it's my "go to" nav system even preferred over Google Maps.

Would love to have a package that doesn't bundle Navigation with other features, I'd gladly eliminate the MKC Nav system as it's just not up to 2017 standards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts