Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Neutral gear and car washes

14K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AlanKL 
#1 ·
How do you guys handle car washes when you have to hit Neutral twice to keep it in Neutral. The cleaning guy is the guy who enters it into the wash and then exits the car while it washes? Do you explain it to them or do they know how these things work?

#3 ·
If you shift in neutral and open the driver's door, it will automatically shift into park unless you hit Neutral twice. As per the manual

AUTOMATIC RETURN TO PARK
Note: This feature will not operate when your vehicle is in Stay in Neutral mode or neutral tow.
Your vehicle has a safety feature that will automatically shift your vehicle into park (P) when any of the following conditions occur:
You turn the ignition off
You open the driver's door with your safety belt unlatched
Your safety belt is unlatched while the driver's door is open
If you turn the ignition off while your vehicle is moving, your vehicle will first shift into neutral (N) until it slows down enough to shift into park (P) automatically.
Note: If you have waited an extended period of time, (2-15 minutes) before starting your vehicle, unlatching your safety belt will cause this feature to activate, even with the driver's door closed.
Note: This feature may not work properly if the door ajar switch is malfunctioning. If your door ajar indicator does not illuminate when you open the driver’s door or the indicator illuminates with the driver’s door closed, see your authorized dealer.

To engage Stay in Neutral, do the following:

STAY IN NEUTRAL MODE
Stay in Neutral mode allows your vehicle to stay in neutral (N) when you exit the vehicle. Your vehicle must be stationary to enter this mode.
To enter Stay in Neutral mode:
Press the neutral (N) button on your shifter assembly.
A message will appear in your information display.
Press the neutral (N) button again to enter Stay in Neutral mode.
A message will appear in your information display screen when your vehicle has entered Stay in Neutral mode.
Note: During this mode the N button will flash continuously and your instrument cluster will display N as the selected gear.
EXITING STAY IN NEUTRAL MODE
To disable Stay in Neutral mode select another gear. See the Putting the Vehicle in Gear for instructions on how to do this.
ENTERING A CARWASH
Note: Always put your vehicle in Stay in Neutral mode when entering an automatic car wash. Failure to do this could result in vehicle damage not covered by warranty.

#4 ·
I just went through a wash yesterday. Just put it in neutral. Next time I will punch it twice...I won't go through a wash where I have to exit the vehicle

Reactions: KenZ and TxTom
#5 ·
I know how it works. My question is how do you handle the car washes where they move it into the wash and you're not in the car while it washes? DO they know they have to punch it twice? Or do you stand there with them and do it for them or tell them what to do?

#6 ·
I never use an automated car wash but it would depend on the individual car wash's procedure. If I could put it in neutral I would...if not I would tell them how to do it.

#7 ·
Here in Syracuse we have Delta Sonic car washes. You stay right in the vehicle all the way through the wash. I got to admit it really does a pretty decent job. The only places I have to wipe the water spots off are the rear window and the side mirrors. They have a deal for $25.00 a month. Unlimited car washes and a card for either .05 or .10 cents off gas when buying it there. Their gas prices are about the lowest in this area anyway, so It's a win win for me.

#8 ·
OK I got my first car wash where you get out of the car and they take over. They were familiar with the issue and just locked the driver's seat belt. That way N stayed in neutral even though they got out of the car. They don;t press N twice.

Reactions: KenZ
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.