Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 mkc 2.3 L turbo AWD model.
1. It has about 48.5k miles and I want to change the transmission fluid.
2. It is not currently leaking but it makes sense to freshen up the fluid. It also seems to be operating without issues currently.
3. I had read elsewhere that you should avoid "flushing" the transmission and simply drain(by gravity) and replace.
4. I replaced the battery yesterday and noticed some trans fluid had "spashed" out from under the filler cap over time and had dirt/dust in it.
5. What would the advice be: flush or simply drain.
6. Which fluid does everyone seem to agree on as the best replacement fluid?
7. Should i at this point change the fluid filter and how is it accessed?
Thank you in advance for any help/advice....

·
Administrator
504 Posts
Hey just wanted to answer a few of your questions there personally I am a flush versus drain person, I think anything over 100 to 150 thousand miles I would drain only but if it’s a pretty fresh transmission I like the idea of flushing it. A lot of the buildup can cause the transmission to work better and when you flush it you take that build up away, you have problems. I believe Ford’s stance though is drain only.
As for fluid, transmission fluid’s are so different nowadays I buy everything from Ford. I know Valvoline makes an alternative.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am a drain vs flush person. more because of time and cost. I think if you do it frequently enough you'll be fine. I also say stick to manufacture fluid. If you want to replace the filter you will need to drop the pan (not high any anyone's list of things to do). At least if you drop the pan you get to see what the magnet looks like.
I am just surprised the fluid is splashing out from filler cap. Need a new cap or was it just a messy refill from the last time?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 mkc 2.3 L turbo AWD model.
1. It has about 48.5k miles and I want to change the transmission fluid.
2. It is not currently leaking but it makes sense to freshen up the fluid. It also seems to be operating without issues currently.
3. I had read elsewhere that you should avoid "flushing" the transmission and simply drain(by gravity) and replace.
4. I replaced the battery yesterday and noticed some trans fluid had "spashed" out from under the filler cap over time and had dirt/dust in it.
5. What would the advice be: flush or simply drain.
6. Which fluid does everyone seem to agree on as the best replacement fluid?
7. Should i at this point change the fluid filter and how is it accessed?
Thank you in advance for any help/advice....
I've drained and refilled the transmission fluid three (3) times on my wife's 2017 MKC 2.3L AWD model. This vehicle had about 30K miles on it when I started these drain/refill procedures, and I did them at about 1,000-mile intervals. The car now has about 38K on it and is running well.

I bought a 12-quart case of Motorcraft MERCON LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and used exactly four quarts of new fluid for each drain/refill cycle.

There should be a spring-style clamp holding the ATF filler cap tightly in place. It's a robust clamp, and fluid really can't escape if the clamp is in place. The clamp's location makes it difficult to reach and release, so I purchased a pair of Lisle 17000 Long Reach Universal Hose Clamp Pliers. This tool makes it much easier to remove and replace the clamp on the ATF filler cap:

Lisle 17000 Long Reach Universal Hose Clamp Pliers

The original fluid didn't look too dirty, so I've ignored the transmission filter thus far but may take a look at in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts