Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the cars have a warning light that signals you when your trunk or back door is open. It doesn't exist on this luxury SUV.

Few weeks ago I was picking up a friend from an airport. We loaded some baggage to the SUV and I waved my feet to have power liftgate close the back door. Few minutes after on a freeway, people started to horn. What was wrong? Oh, my back door was open wildly. The power liftgate must didn't lock the door completely so the door opened during drive.

There are really two design issues here.
1. Power liftgate should signal you by horn if it cannot locked the door.
2. At very least, there should be a door open warming at front panel.

·
Registered
160 Posts
from the owners manual

Note: Entering your vehicle while the liftgate
is closing can cause your vehicle to bounce
and activate obstacle detection. To prevent
this, let the power liftgate close completely
before you enter your vehicle. Before driving
off, check the instrument cluster for a liftgate
or door ajar message or warning indicator.
Failure to do this could result in
unintentionally leaving the liftgate open
while driving.

might check yours in the driveway to make sure warnings are working

·
Registered
123 Posts
My Explorer used to do that but my MKC does not. I can start it while the liftgate is closing and it continues to close. Plus the warning lights are there. I would bring it in for service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a test on this and the liftgate ajar warning was on if I left my liftgate open and switch to drive mode. However, during my mentioned incident above the warning was not on.

I have to assume that if the liftgate was closed but not fully locked, this will shut off the liftgate ajar warning. Then the liftgate opens during the drive due to not locked and this never triggers liftgate ajar warning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts