Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago you mentioned a touch-up paint brand you strongly recommended along with the process you have used. Try as I may I cannot find the post - threads and topics due tend to wonder a bit.
If you could repost it would be appreciated. Thx...........

·
Registered
881 Posts
Some time ago you mentioned a touch-up paint brand you strongly recommended along with the process you have used. Try as I may I cannot find the post - threads and topics due tend to wonder a bit.
If you could repost it would be appreciated. Thx...........
We talked about Dr Touchup, and applying it using a small piece of wax paper if you recall.....the other touch up paint I think we discussed was the OEM touch up paint that comes in a pen/brush container ......maybe you can give me some more info just in case I am forgetting something!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr Touchup is the one, could not recall that name at all.
I recall you mentioning placing a cooled (frozen?) pc of wax paper on the wet paint.
I've had mixed results in the past with too much paint being applied via the built in brushes. Have done better with a round toothpick to apply sparingly.
Any other tricks you've employed successfully?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Nothing has worked as well for me as a frozen piece of wax paper over the paint drop...it flattens the paint to the level of surrounding paint and does NOT dry as a "dome"...When I was shown this trick, the guy suggested I practice on a tin can, which I did, got the knack of it by the 3rd attempt and since then, I can almost guarantee you,you would not find a touch up spot I repaired... a lot of body shops use this trick to touch up stone chips without the "blob" effect!

·
Registered
881 Posts
yeah that was it Dr colorchip,thanks!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a bunch of those Blankster, but they still "stretch" the paint over the repair...I bought a mix & match value pack from Lee Valley,they are ok, but nowhere near a flattened wax paper application.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great overview Candy, thx for the tip(s)
Have a <2.0 mm chip on the spoiler of the Vette and have been afraid to try anything based on past results.
Will try a test or 2 before attempting.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Great overview Candy, thx for the tip(s)
Have a <2.0 mm chip on the spoiler of the Vette and have been afraid to try anything based on past results.
Will try a test or 2 before attempting.
OR; you can book me a flight and I'll come and personally repair it for you!!!!!!
Once you get the technique pat down you'll realize how really easy and undetectable it is and the blend is almost impossible to detect...
Sometimes, if the underlying primer was knocked out, you may need to go over it a couple of times to bring it up to the level of the outside paint,in that case allow at least 24 hrs for drying/shrinkage then proceed with the second coat.
Any other concerns you may have, just let me know,I'll be more than happy to my share my own approaches!
Cheers.

Reactions: 2015 MSM

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OR; you can book me a flight and I'll come and personally repair it for you!!!!!!

Good suggestion Candy!
It's actually a cool (57F) rainy day today in southern CA - finally. Car show on the coast has just been cancelled however.
Lived in Western NY for many years so understand the sacrifice your willing to make. Enjoyed many long weekends in the Toronto area.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I call that nice weather @ 57F....but we are beginning to get into double digit temps now although we still have have some remnants of snow on the ground! Love, love love New York City, whenever I have the chance to fly to NYC, even for a long weekend I usually do,it's a great city...weird as it may seem, I could not wait to get out of Toronto and move to the country...a 1.5 years later, I miss the glow one gets from inner city....so heading to TO tomorrow for a few days!
WoW you guys got rain, a rarity in Cali :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
We need every drop!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts