Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to play your iPhone music using bluetooth? That is, not connecting your phone with the cord? To be honest, I've never heard of that. But a friend mentioned it to me and when I was later exploring the bluetooth settings on the My Touch display I noticed two symbols next to my phone. One was a phone symbol which looked bright for enabled. The other was a music note symbol that was grayed out. I couldn't figure out how to enable it, though.

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello Don! YES! The Bluetooth connection is one of my very favorite items in my MKC! Once your phone is "paired" with the vehicle, anything that uses sound (music, alarms. phone, etc.) can be voice-activated as well as play through your speakers. A shortcoming of my iPhone is that the MKC won't read texts to you as i can with other brands (it's an Apple thing) but I can use "voice" messaging utilizing hands-free, voice texting. You want to be careful because some states (most states) do not allow texting while driving and using voice texting is far safer BUT, it's still texting!

Reactions: Don7019

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bruce! My phone is "paired" and I have been using the bluetooth for phone calls. But is there a trick to activating the music part of the phone? Maybe it's already available and I'm just not seeing it. I'll have to explore more when I get back to my car later today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never mind. I found it! In the entertainment section, along with AM, FM, Sirius, etc. there is a "BT Stereo" setting (BT standing for Bluetooth). You just pick that and it controls what's playing on your iPhone. Pretty Cool!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bruce, I have been able to get my iPhone to notify me of, and read incoming messages.
There may be some permission to set up either from the phone or MyLincolnTouch...........

·
Registered
795 Posts
Midnite how are you getting your texts read to you? Is it just the accessibility feature turned on but you still have to take your eyes off the road to highlight and choose "speak"? Do you swipe down feature to read whole screen? How does that work.

Sync 3 needs to pop up an alert when text comes in and ask you if you would like your text read to you, should be one quick tap or voice command and/or ideally steering wheel control so no need to take eyes off road. After it reads it to you it should ask would you like to reply and give you the option to speak and send text.

I've tried every which way with my iPhone but you still have to take your eyes off road to find tiny SIRI dictation button and I have the big [email protected]@ iPhone too :). Or take eyes off to highlight the text you want read to you.

Just put a darn iPad in the dash already!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just get a button that pops up on the touch screen that says "Listen". I hit it once and she reads me the text. This is a month -old iPhone 6 , but then, my old and loved Blackberry did this as well.

·
Registered
795 Posts
So as soon as someone texts you the listen button pops up without any intervention? I have iPhone 6plus. How do you have that set up?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can press the listen button in the center console screen when you get the text message notification OR you can use the voice command to have Sync read the message out loud. I believe the command is "Listen to text message" and it will read outloud the last text.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So as soon as someone texts you the listen button pops up without any intervention? I have iPhone 6plus. How do you have that set up?
I can't say that I had to 'set it up' that I remember. You might want to check your MyLincolnTouch settings/phone- per page 372 in the manual:

"Text Message Notification Select the type of notification for text messages - alert tone, beep, text to speech, or have it be silent."

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad I came across this thread, I had no idea that they had update sync to work with iphones...before, I just got that non-compatible device error before. Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Some iPhones will text message, notably our iPhone 6, but not our 5c.

Don, regarding playing music via Bluetooth, glad you got it to work, however it will work even better if you connect it to the USB port. Playing music via Bluetooth loses a little something in terms of audio quality. I can't describe exactly what I mean but my ears can tell the difference. Plus, Bluetooth limits the volume output a bit, but if you want to change songs, artists, albums, etc you have to do it through the phone. Not a safe thing to do while driving.

However, if your phone is connected to the USB port, not only will you achieve maximum sound level, but it will also charge your phone and give you the ability to play different music by using the touchscreen or voice activation instead of actually having to touch your phone. Those that may have music on an iPod, Nano, MP3, the same applies - plug it in and you can make all sorts of selections via the touchscreen. Yes Bluetooth is easier because it's wireless, but using a USB cable gives you more options on the MKC. USB cables for Apple products are $14 at Radio Shack...and yes, Radio Shack is still open, though 1/2 of each store is now dedicated to their new owners - Sprint.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I thought the text notification feature didn't work with iPhones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts