Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came here in hopes to get help with an issue involving the auto climate setting in my 2017 MKC Select. A new issue has crept up whereby my auto climate system doesn't seem to be adjusting the fan speed until it is cranked to the highest temperature. It seems to only be a problem on the heat setting as turning it to the coldest setting does seem to change fan speed. It's hard to tell if this is a new issue as we only recently starting getting cold winter temperatures around here. The fan virtually doesn't blow unless the heat is at max. Switching out of auto allows the fan to work normally. Does anyone have any idea if this is perhaps a bad sensor or something else?

Any input would be appreciated!

· Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like a bad resistor or control module. I'm leaning toward resistor. A fancy scan tool should give you a precise answer.
your first step: Simple OBDII reader. Go to your local parts retailer (which typically lend it out to use in the parking lot) to see what codes exist. If or when you find a code: google it with make & model
tell us how it works out.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a bad resistor or control module. I'm leaning toward resistor. A fancy scan tool should give you a precise answer.
your first step: Simple OBDII reader. Go to your local parts retailer (which typically lend it out to use in the parking lot) to see what codes exist. If or when you find a code: google it with make & model
tell us how it works out.
I have my own OBDII scanner, and the car isn't throwing any codes or errors unfortunately. I wish it was that simple!

· Registered
187 Posts
Have you tried disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and connect it back and see? A lot of time that solves some bug that can't be explained.

· Administrator
766 Posts
These codes would be set deeper and then a standard OBD2 could probably read. Immediately I felt like it was a resistor as well. But where you feel like the fan will work on other settings, I don't know. A fan only working on high is very common for a bad resistor but if you can get variable fan speeds on other ways it would not be a resistor.

1/13/23 EDIT:. It may be the resistor. I just ran into a bad resistor on a expedition that the fan did not work on high setting

· Registered
72 Posts
If it turns out to be the resistor - check out Escape resistor replacement videos on youtube. This part looks to be in a similarly difficult position as the cabin filters - except on the driver side. Not impossible to replace - but looks like you would probably want to remove some of those dash panels to gain easier access.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts