Lincoln MKC Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been pleasantly pleased and surprised by my overall Lincoln experience. That goes a long way as I'm very "particular" according to my friends. hehe. I was disappointed that Lincoln doesn't offer loaner cars for routine maintenance, only for warranty work. As others have mentioned, there needs to be more stand alone dealerships to bring the Lincoln brand up to "luxury level" and separate from Ford. Overall, I feel that Lincoln is working towards Lexus level of luxury. The big difference is the stand alone dealership and when I take my car into Lexus I can get a loaner even for routine maintenance if I make an appointment ahead of time. I've gotten it down with my SA that I can be in and out in 10 minutes (car drop off, paper work, and loaner). To me that's customer service, they value my time and needs. Amazing. This is what Lincoln should strive towards.

·
Registered
87 Posts
^^ posted in wrong thread, please discard.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here is my MKX rear bumper protector on my MKC. Shouldn't have had to do this if Lincoln was just thinking about us C owners they could have made an exact duplicate version with a C instead of a X...but nooooo, Lincoln didn't want to mess with us folks that generally spent ONLY $40-50k on our C's.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Here is my MKX rear bumper protector on my MKC. Shouldn't have had to do this if Lincoln was just thinking about us C owners they could have made an exact duplicate version with a C instead of a X...but nooooo, Lincoln didn't want to mess with us folks that generally spent ONLY $40-50k on our C's.
That looks good, thanks for the pix. It's super thin which is perfect. I hate things that stick out. Yeah, a c one would be nice.

Does it cover the entire sill? It seems to be shorter.
Is it a hard plastic or rubber?

·
Registered
123 Posts
It does not cover the entire bumper, but none that I've ever had, do. It does cover the entire hatch opening, which is of most importance. It has a rich black look with a nice design engraved in the plastic that really doesn't show up in the photo's. It does not feel like rubber, but more like a hard plastic. I presume the size of the MKX bumper is different then the size of the C, but it looks like it's meant for the C = a pretty good fit. Here is another photo which may provide a different look for you. As you can tell from this photo, the MKX initials blend into the plastic so well that's hardly noticeable depending upon the lighting conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
I see now. At first it looked like one side was shorter, it's even on both sides and covers what's needed.

See the mkx gets all the goodies we don't. The cargo packages, a second row all weather mat that covers the hump (that my son steps on all the time uuugh :) ) , better stereo, etched mkx in headlights....

·
Registered
881 Posts
dk4500,How does it go on? I'm guessing self stick...any pointers how you installed it would be awesome...did you order this through the dealer? part #??? Thanks man, love how it looks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ordered thru the dealer and they installed it, but I'm sure it's easy to do yourself. Saw it before it was installed and it has adhesive strips on the back. Dealer may have sprayed some adhesive as well...not quite sure. It 's not going anywhere - it fits as if it was a part of the bumper...practically looks seamless. Price was around $80 and any reputable dealer should install it for free. After all you probably paid over $40K for the car. I think it took them less than 5 minutes. I was very insistent on exactly where I wanted it placed because in a perfect world the protector should be a bit wider to cover the entire bumper width - from the rubber weather stripping to the end of the bumper - but it was made just a bit short. I had them position it as close to the end of the bumper (but stopping just short of the edge) as possible as I felt that this would be where scratching would most likely occur.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thank you for the reply and info dk4500...I highly doubt that added more adhesive ...those adhesive strips are crazy strong when a proper bond is established....more than likely they cleaned the paint with a reducer thinner 500, it does not effect the top coat or paint but removes any oils, dirt etc before they finally place it down.
I can easily do this, I have the right reducer and lots of clean rags....I guess I would do a dry fit first, then when I have it where I want to be, do the outside with a few strips of painter's tape as guides and start one on the one side and work it in across the bumper.
I agree this should have been a factory supplied protection barrier!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2014 MKX, listing for well over $50,000, and it did not come with bumper protection either. I noticed at one point that there were some small scratches on the top of the bumper, which I figured out was from the soft cloth automatic car wash that I was using during the winter months. Before you pull through, they have someone who takes a large brush and washes across the rear glass and lower part of the rear hatch. Evidently the edges of the wooden brush were scraping across the top of the bumper. I spoke to the manager at the car wash, who tried to buff the scratches out, but was not successful. He only told me to just ask them to stop using the brush on the back of the car....
I ordered the same bumper protection strip from Amazon, which was quite a lot cheaper than from the dealer and installed it myself. It is a little tricky to get it placed just right, and I did have to use a very small needle to puncture some of the air bubbles that get under the strip, but once finished it looks great and does the job. I see that the 2016 MKX is offering a cargo package that includes this protection.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The one thing that drives me nuts about the MKC the most is.................the rear wiper!
It is a good feature to have and works quite well considering most of us hate rear windshield wipers.....the fact it does NOT lift beyond that initial 1" makes it a PITA to clean the glass where it usually parks itself.
They could have easily designed it to have a decent amount of lift, nothing outthisworld, say 3"....
You cannot get a chamy in there to dry wipe the glass if you tried...
Rant over.

·
Registered
160 Posts
so if you use an automatic car wash, the paint under the bumper protector will be the only place on the car that isn't scratched

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have a 2014 MKX, listing for well over $50,000, and it did not come with bumper protection either. I noticed at one point that there were some small scratches on the top of the bumper, which I figured out was from the soft cloth automatic car wash that I was using during the winter months. Before you pull through, they have someone who takes a large brush and washes across the rear glass and lower part of the rear hatch. Evidently the edges of the wooden brush were scraping across the top of the bumper. I spoke to the manager at the car wash, who tried to buff the scratches out, but was not successful. He only told me to just ask them to stop using the brush on the back of the car....
Omg. That's it? Just ask ask them to stop? How about they spend $10 and replace the brush...or better yet use something that CANT scratch your customers cars. Exactly why I would never take mine to an auto car wash (on top I'd other scratches) but understand not everyone can hand wash their car all the time.

·
Registered
795 Posts
:grin
The one thing that drives me nuts about the MKC the most is.................the rear wiper!
It is a good feature to have and works quite well considering most of us hate rear windshield wipers.....the fact it does NOT lift beyond that initial 1" makes it a PITA to clean the glass where it usually parks itself.
They could have easily designed it to have a decent amount of lift, nothing outthisworld, say 3"....
You cannot get a chamy in there to dry wipe the glass if you tried...
Rant over.
Ha ha...how about how much water the back end of the car holds! Drives me crazy with water drips. I dry my car completely and 15 minutes later come out and see water drips down from the tail lights. Thank goodness my husband has a big air compressor in the garage I now use to blow it all out.

There should be detailers reviews and ratings right candy red? There should be a rating system and tips for the trouble spots. LOL. Let's start a business/website...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have never and will never take my car to a car wash unless it is a touchless system. I don't want the brushes scratching the car. The brushes pick up all kinds of small pebbles, rocks, etc that can wreak havoc on the paint. Most of the time I wash/wax the car myself. During the winter months I go to one of those manual car washes and just use the spray to rinse off the car. Again I won't use the brush attachment as that is what scratches the paint.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have never and will never take my car to a car wash unless it is a touchless system. I don't want the brushes scratching the car. The brushes pick up all kinds of small pebbles, rocks, etc that can wreak havoc on the paint. Most of the time I wash/wax the car myself. During the winter months I go to one of those manual car washes and just use the spray to rinse off the car. Again I won't use the brush attachment as that is what scratches the paint.
Omg hate to tell you but "touchless" or "brushless" does NOTHING to keep scratches off. Those big "chamois" or fabric/foam strips used instead of brushes also hold pebbles and grit. Not to mention still risk of other scratches/issues.

NEVER anything but a foamer and hand wash for me. I have black and have had mostly black/dark cars. After time going through those washes your car will look like the loaners at my dealer -swirled scratched paint. It's hairline but over time damages the clearcoat. I don't even hand wash my car a lot. Over washing it even carefully by hand will eventually cause the swirls too. Yes I like my paint to look perfect, especially this black. If I had a light colored car I would consider chancing it.

Plus if you read the story about the other gentleman's scratches from the "brushless" wash that had some minimum wage guy raking a brush down to the wood across your car :eek: so much for brushless. This is what our local "brushless/touchless" does too...not to mention hearing stories of wipers and trim getting caught on the fabric and ripping them off.

I understand if you don't have the time and are not a fanatic like me but I just can't do the car washes. Have to do it myself...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have only been to the brushless car wash a couple of times. The ones we have here are actually completely brushless...they don't have the fabric/foam strips. And there is no operator that is using a hand brush on the car. Just drive the car in and park. The jets of water are on an arm that surrounds the car and goes from front to back spraying the car...the only thing that touches the car is water.

·
Registered
795 Posts
do they get all the dirt off? I'll have to see if we have one of those here. When salt/dirt gets on mine in winter I go to a self wash and just use water spray off. This year I bought a long flex hose that can connect to my mud room utility sink and thru my garage to spray it off myself. I wouldn't want a lot of pressure or harsh detergents stripping my winter protection wax off. That should work the few months we will have now of weather too cold to wash.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts