Lincoln MKC Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did say, only used that car wash in the "winter months". I am retired, so most of the time I don't take the MKX outside on salty roads.....except when I have to go to my family farm for holidays, then the thing is a mess when I get back with grime from the gravel roads, even though I only have to go 1/2 mile from the highway and usually drive that at 15 mph . Usually too cold to use the hand wash spray thing...

·
Registered
644 Posts
The touchless car wash is OK for a quick clean up when nothing else is available or lack of time. Nothing beats washing a car by hand however.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I like automated car washes like I love lung cancer!....gonna be a VERY cold day in **** before I would even consider using one, let alone, using one lol
My own experiences:
Old technology carwash, with brushes:
You're angry at your car and decided to punish it by putting it through a slow agonizing "derma peel" better known as ..."who needs clear coat anyways...
Touchless car washes:
Extremely aggressive detergents,ultra high pressure jets combine to help shear off not only the dirt, but whatever waxes you have applied,I'll pass those too.
Mario's hand car wash <--- This is ME!
start off with a gentle hosing ( low pressure) from roof line down, first pass essentially wets and breaks down the adhesion dirt tends to have to painted surfaces... I personally like using a quality hand held multi option garden water gun, and usually use "shower" setting.
I will rewet the entire car again, from roof down to lower panels, using a fan setting, it saturates the paint and floods it with a gentle wall of cascading water.
For washing I use a 2 bucket system with dirt trap in my second bucket...premium Mother's car shampoo and a good quality wash mitt....starting with the roof line, and working front to back in linear motion,rinsing mitt in first bucket with trap then into second bucket with clean, clear fresh water....once roof is done, a liberal rinsing with gun, continue moving down to glass and pillars, again as above...then rinse.
Same as above on doors...this is especially important to stay moving linear, front /back strokes, NEVER in circular motion ( Fine particle dirt, when wet and combined with a mitt will essentially act as a ultra fine sand paper (2,000 grit or higher) when you wash in a circular motion this fine dirt (grit) will create fine swirls because it is "cutting" into the clear coat....which is why you wash linear strokes!
When panels are all done, I throughly rinse down the entire car with low pressure cascade of water.
prior to drying I use my air hose from top to bottom paying particular attention to crevices and areas that I know hold water and blow it all out.....once done, I use a synthetic chammy to dry,once dry I usually go over the paint with a quality wax if needed ( usually wax every 6 washes....
Stand back and enjoy your handiwork!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I like automated car washes like I love lung cancer!....gonna be a VERY cold day in **** before I would even consider using one, let alone, using one lol
My own experiences:
Old technology carwash, with brushes:
You're angry at your car and decided to punish it by putting it through a slow agonizing "derma peel" better known as ..."who needs clear coat anyways...
Touchless car washes:
Extremely aggressive detergents,ultra high pressure jets combine to help shear off not only the dirt, but whatever waxes you have applied,I'll pass those too.
Mario's hand car wash <--- This is ME!
start off with a gentle hosing ( low pressure) from roof line down, first pass essentially wets and breaks down the adhesion dirt tends to have to painted surfaces... I personally like using a quality hand held multi option garden water gun, and usually use "shower" setting.
I will rewet the entire car again, from roof down to lower panels, using a fan setting, it saturates the paint and floods it with a gentle wall of cascading water.
For washing I use a 2 bucket system with dirt trap in my second bucket...premium Mother's car shampoo and a good quality wash mitt....starting with the roof line, and working front to back in linear motion,rinsing mitt in first bucket with trap then into second bucket with clean, clear fresh water....once roof is done, a liberal rinsing with gun, continue moving down to glass and pillars, again as above...then rinse.
Same as above on doors...this is especially important to stay moving linear, front /back strokes, NEVER in circular motion ( Fine particle dirt, when wet and combined with a mitt will essentially act as a ultra fine sand paper (2,000 grit or higher) when you wash in a circular motion this fine dirt (grit) will create fine swirls because it is "cutting" into the clear coat....which is why you wash linear strokes!
When panels are all done, I throughly rinse down the entire car with low pressure cascade of water.
prior to drying I use my air hose from top to bottom paying particular attention to crevices and areas that I know hold water and blow it all out.....once done, I use a synthetic chammy to dry,once dry I usually go over the paint with a quality wax if needed ( usually wax every 6 washes....
Stand back and enjoy your handiwork!!!!!!!!!!
Candy thought you're were more of a professional than that. You gotta start using a foam cannon/gun

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC326 Foam Blaster 6 Foam Wash Gun: Automotive

That's the way to go....

·
Registered
881 Posts
You know the saying....if it ain't broke lol....been washing ALL my cars with the 2 bucket for years....you take a close look at my coach work and you get to realize REAL fast why I use this system...I have ZERO swirls...and that's NOT because I am close friends with the wash Godess! lol
I might do a lil more research on foam cannons...if I'm convinced I just might get one, thanks for the link mmoretti.
I do use their wash mitts tho,and have used some of their products....

·
Registered
881 Posts
Personally, I find the liquid gold shampoo by Mothers is excellent...quite thick consistency even when diluted in water and I find it emulsifies beautifully, lifting and suspending dirt and debris easily.The shampoo I had bought from CH Guys, I found it good...a lil too thinned out for my liking tho,I still have a half bottle in the workshop....you're quite welcome to it mmoretti!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Personally, I find the liquid gold shampoo by Mothers is excellent...quite thick consistency even when diluted in water and I find it emulsifies beautifully, lifting and suspending dirt and debris easily.The shampoo I had bought from CH Guys, I found it good...a lil too thinned out for my liking tho,I still have a half bottle in the workshop....you're quite welcome to it mmoretti!
I'm not partial to the shampoo...just used that link for an example. I like the pinnacle products. Super thick dirt grabbing foam...best way to wash and avoid and swirls. Two buckets are a given...

To all - one of the places I buy online going out of business 40% off everything now and as they try to clear inventory it will go down more. Grab your products to keep your C looking new..

Promotion Details

·
Registered
881 Posts
Great link mmoretti,thank you,cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
New MKC owner here reviving a long dead thread. After checking out accessories.lincoln.com, it seems Lincoln still does not offer a solution. Has anyone else found any alternatives, other than the MKX appliqué or 3M film?

·
Registered
881 Posts
New MKC owner here reviving a long dead thread. After checking out accessories.lincoln.com, it seems Lincoln still does not offer a solution. Has anyone else found any alternatives, other than the MKX appliqué or 3M film?
Ummm... I'm just careful loading/unloading stuff in the cargo area.....no damage, no scratches no nothing!
One of my pet peeves is the terrible lighting in the cargo area, at best, it's an after thought by Lincoln to incorporate lighting in that area...I ended up buying a led battery operated light that is quite bright and I can hang it anywhere back there,even with the second row seats down,the light is just horrible in the cargo area :confused:
It is especially terrible if the interior is black.....regarding the rear bumper protection,they could have easily added a "tail" attached to the floor cover above the spare tire well...if you needed it, you just unfold it over the bumper!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ummm... I'm just careful loading/unloading stuff in the cargo area.....no damage, no scratches no nothing!
One of my pet peeves is the terrible lighting in the cargo area, at best, it's an after thought by Lincoln to incorporate lighting in that area...I ended up buying a led battery operated light that is quite bright and I can hang it anywhere back there,even with the second row seats down,the light is just horrible in the cargo area :confused:
It is especially terrible if the interior is black.....regarding the rear bumper protection,they could have easily added a "tail" attached to the floor cover above the spare tire well...if you needed it, you just unfold it over the bumper!
Candy, that Volvo XC60 loaner I just had wasn't much better for the cargo area lighting. It had a small light similar in size to the MKC's attached to the liftgate that shown down into the cargo area. While it did provide more of a "floodlight" effect, I still don't think the location was that much better. Some help was also provided by the map lights over the back seats, which were located on the center headliner just behind the panoramic moonroof (smaller than on the C...) instead of inside each grab handle over the rear door windows as they are on our cars.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I hear ya kmccart, which is why I purposely used the word "after thought" to describe the cargo area lighting.....one of my wife's cousins drives a Volvo XC60 and I was saying to her over the weekend how dim her light was in the back...she in turn told me to not stand in the middle of the open gate because I was blocking the light!!!!! LOL.
What really was needed was a pair of flush mounted BRIGHT wide angle led's high up ( back of the folding rear seats) and slightly angled to the cargo floor....even my 2011 GT Mustang has superior light in the trunk compared to the MKC...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Blankster, thanks for that suggestion. 5.0 Candy REDCS, I told my Golden and Flat Coated Retrievers to be careful when loading themselves into the MKC and they just laughed at me! :wink So before they could do any damage, I bought the WeatherTech Cargo Liner with Bumper Protector: http://www.weathertech.com/cargo-liner/

I love that WeatherTech is made in USA. It fits perfectly (though I had to order it for a 2016, 2017 is not in their DB yet). I am a little disappointed that the tray is not made of thicker, less flexible material. If I ever did spill a liquid on it, it would be difficult to remove the tray without "spilling" the spilled liquid. It does a great job protecting the car from the routine stuff of dogs and mountain bike gear. Here it is installed with the bumper protector rolled up and then deployed:

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just joined the MKC family, leased a new 2017 MKC Reserve. I was amazed to see no bumper protection. As I'm looking at aftermarket options is there any difference in the 2017 bumper compared to 2015/2016 models?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Of course, the other fact that my interior is black does not help matters as far as appreciate lighting is concerned in the cargo area....I bought these clip on round LED lights from Canadian Tire and they solved my issue very well....
Another pet peeve I have it the ridiculous catch all net that comes with the "C".....4 packs of condoms would fill it to overflow LOL....the one that came with my Mustang GT is awesome; holds a number of actual grocery bags ( like 6,full to the top) and you still have the trunk, it clips on to these two hooks that came with it, they just screw into these threaded holes on the sides, I want to see if it would work on the C, if it does I will buy one just for the C and toss the one that came with it!

·
Registered
881 Posts
cdp8.....Great cargo area protector, the one I had bought from those guys came in rolled up right from factory....all 4 corners were destroyed beyond belief! No matter what I tried, I COULD NOT get it to flatten out, it was so bad I returned ita couple of weeks later, I added weights on it, I heated it with a hair dryer to relax it flat, I put it upside down with a couple of sand bags on it and left it like that for days.....just would not lie flat!
When I called Weather Tech, they told me it's how they ship these things and the guy admitted they had received quite a few complaints about the permanent curl it had...he said they were looking at options on how to ship them without curling them!
Maybe they finally started shipping them flat ( which is what I had suggested to this guy).....all my other Weather Tech protector mats ( front and rear passenger area fit perfectly without any issues.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I can understand needing one of these cargo mats, especially the one with bumper protector.... if you have dogs, they are going to claw the bumper pretty badly, I imagine this saves the bumper from scratches quite well...I mostly use my cargo area for hauling grocery bags, cases of beer, that sort of thing, no pets other than our cats, and when we travel with them, they are in their soft cages, and get to enjoy a chorus of MEOWS ! LOL

61 - 80 of 82 Posts