Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the rear LED "fog lights" have any type of warranty on them? I got one side LEDs in the bumper that is dead. This just baffles me as my car is only 11 months old, and LEDs are supposed to last much longer than that.

It's not like I turn them on 24h/day for the last 11 months, but even if that is the case 11x31x24=8,184h. How could one side be dead and the other side not? Wouldn't that be a defect???

·
Registered
70 Posts
It should be covered by the 4 year 50,000 bumper to bumper warranty unless it's the result of damage - an external impact.

Reactions: Snapper714

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since 2000 I have only bought new cars and most, 5 of 7, were ordered and wait for vehicles. I am a former Army aircraft mechanic

Early on, many of the new cars had some things work intermittently or not at all. I learned to find as many electrical connectors as I could reach without having to do radical disassemble to get to. I find 4 or 5 connectors on each car that are not completely "clicked" connected fully

I suspect you have a loose connector

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes and No.

Yes, Lincoln warranty would cover such defect.
No, because the service man was quick to point out a small crack that I did not see on the very edge (that i had missed).

My car dealer said $500 for the part itself, excluding installation and tax! How it got cracked is a great mystery? I've never bumped into anything front, back, or sideways.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have no idea what a "Rear LED Fog light" is. I only know of fog lights on the front of the cars. Can you enlighten me? I've been waiting on an explanation before I posted this as to not sound dumb..... but I just did it!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your right ictJohn, fog lights are ONLY in the front because of the obvious...you want better vision while driving forward in fog conditions. According to everything I've read and seen about the MKC, including the owners manual and speaking to the dealership, fog lights are not standard or optional features on MKC, so they just don't exist. The rear LED's lights are just that, LED lights, and come on when the headlights are on, when the car is in reverse, and when applying the brakes. Hope this dispels the confusion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you are talking about back up lights that go on only when the transmission is placed in reverse. They are "white" lights (not red or amber) that help you see what's behind you at night or in low light conditions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no idea what a "Rear LED Fog light" is. I only know of fog lights on the front of the cars. Can you enlighten me? I've been waiting on an explanation before I posted this as to not sound dumb..... but I just did it!

Not dumb just not common on most cars sold in North America.

I've put the MKC on myshort list and noticed this post. Almost all European cars brought into North America have rear fog lights. They an added safety feature to help following drivers. Basically and extra bright red lamp in the rear on the driver's side, when activated it almost looks like the brake lights are on abet one lamp burned out. If you follow a Benz you will often see one bright light because owners accidentally turn them on. All my past cars have had this feature.

Rear Fog Lights

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not dumb just not common on most cars sold in North America.

I've put the MKC on myshort list and noticed this post. Almost all European cars brought into North America have rear fog lights. They an added safety feature to help following drivers. Basically and extra bright red lamp in the rear on the driver's side, when activated it almost looks like the brake lights are on abet one lamp burned out. If you follow a Benz you will often see one bright light because owners accidentally turn them on. All my past cars have had this feature.

Rear Fog Lights
My Nephews Audi A4 did this, but in his case both rear tail lights lit and as you say almost looks like the brake lights are on... but I think its a different set of bulbs used. I thought it was pretty cool as it DOES make coming up on a vehicle in fog, running those... much more visible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
New cars have an intensity of electonics that would baffle Henry Ford, T. Edison and Tesla alike. Leds are reliable elements but take all sorts of other electronics and software to run. I agree with Fredvon4 there's a bad connection somewhere at the very least. These lights activate often temporarily whenever you approach your MKC with the fob. They go on and off constantly and the cycles driven by software and hardware collectively are bound to have the issues. When I push the button to lower the hatch, the cars bongs out its little tune, but not every time. The infotainment system decided I should make a call to no body when I sat inside one time. It took a full minute and a half to get my MKC to hang up the call to space. My iPhone showed no sign of helping and just ignored the MKC. Our gadgets or rather the socially inept people that continue to come up with all this (excuse me) crap have long ago exceeded practicality and gone onto heights of competitive complexities that fail to deliver much value to anyone.

A crack in the Led lens could have come from anyone bumping your car. Check the simple things first. The complex things are impossible to assess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts