Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a check engine light this afternoon as I left the house and stopped by O’Reily to get a reading. The result is a cylinder 2 misfire. The car had 82K mi on it and never had a SP replacement so it isn’t necessarily surprising, what is is lack of tutorials and documentations on replacing them in MKC. Anyone have any wisdom to share? I watched a 2.0L job on a MKZ which the location and placement seemed similar, but not exact. What is the torque spec for the SP (12ft-lb?) and do I need to regap the new SP out of the box?
Tagging @copbait for advise.

·
Administrator
732 Posts
You are in luck. I just replaced my plugs maybe a month ago. It is very easy to do, probably the easiest spark plugs I have ever changed. Once you take the top cover off, they are right there. 82k seems early to have plug problems but it should be a cheap and easy check. I replaced mine at 110k miles, and they were worn out (spec is 0.027 and all of mine were 0.041 and greater) the new plugs were correct gap from the box. The video on the MKZ should be the same (even the spark plugs are the same between a 2.0L and 2.3L). One caution though, 12ft lbs is a little heavy, it should be 106in lbs (~8ft lbs)

BTW I replaced mine because of a shudder/misfire (without CEI) and it took care of the problem, and returned the gas mileage to normal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I am planning to replace all four, and I noted that first and fourth have a ring instead of hex nut over the coil/cover. How did you get that off? Also, did you have to get the intake out of the way?

·
Administrator
732 Posts
No the ring you see is just a attachment for the wiring, it comes off just with a pry and is only used to keep the wiring in place. Yes, I took the upper intake off just because it was one bolt and it came out of the way pretty easily

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great thanks. Sounds pretty straightforward then, provided it is indeed spark plugs and not the coil and wires. Did you had a CEL and if so, did it went away right after you replaced it, or you had to drive around for a bit more?

Anyways, I agree with you 82K isn't exactly high for needing plugs, any idea what else it could be? The wirings looks fine, and without taking the coil pack off they looked fine from the outside too.

Lastly and perhaps a dumb question, when it indicate 2nd cylinder, is it the second from left to right when you are looking at the engine bay, or right to left?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update… so I was able to replace all four spark plugs and put everything back together without the car blowing up. Pretty proud of myself 🤣

Now the bad part.. the CEL is still on even after a battery reset. And upon a closer inspection I noted oil on the tip and around the electrode/puck area where SP 1,3,4 are bone dry. This can’t be good….

I have made an appointment with Lincoln Monday to drop it off. I know there are probably other shops that can do it, but our dealership is actually charging cheaper for diagnosis ($99) than two shops that I called ($110+). While the service lady preface herself by saying she’s not a mechanic, after hearing about my description, she’s already talking about a new engine… that can’t be happening already right?!

More updates to come….

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if you mean the stock valve cover can be wet with oil, but that’s a good point. I did remove the plug again just to check and it was not wet, so it may be pretty simple. But I suppose I will spend the $100 to get a full diagnostic peace of mind. Stay tuned.

·
Administrator
732 Posts
Oh man sorry I did not get online for a couple days. Glad you could get them replaced. Wet oil covered spark plugs would not concern me too much, oil will burn in a combustion chamber, unlike antifreeze, that may be a cause from the rich, misfire condition rather than another problem, my 2c. Do you still have any hesitation or other signs of a misfire? CEL may not reset with just a battery cable pull, IDK, but it has not worked for me lately (on non-ford models)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh man sorry I did not get online for a couple days. Glad you could get them replaced. Wet oil covered spark plugs would not concern me too much, oil will burn in a combustion chamber, unlike antifreeze, that may be a cause from the rich, misfire condition rather than another problem, my 2c. Do you still have any hesitation or other signs of a misfire? CEL may not reset with just a battery cable pull, IDK, but it has not worked for me lately (on non-ford models)
None whatsoever other than the CEL. My neighbor had suggested doing a fuel injector cleaning to see if that clears up any carbon buildups. I have pulled the battery cable twice with varying amount of time each time (5-10 minutes) with the CEL still on. At this point, I think I will pay the $100 and let Lincoln certified guys tell me. Hopefully, they will do the right thing and not just blind me sell me a new engine. If so, I will be getting a second opinion.

·
Administrator
732 Posts
The fuel injector cleaner does not work on direct injection motors to clean the intake, the fuel is injected straight into the cylinder rather than the intake manifold. Actually carbon buildup is one of the problems for direct injection motors. My first EcoBoost I had to take the engine apart and clean the valves and intake manually. I haven't noticed any buildup like that though on these four cylinder EcoBoosts.

If the spark plugs fixed your problem though, driving it for a few days may turn the light off. So if they do suggest anything expensive, drive it for a few days before you bite the bullet

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be clear, the car drove perfectly fine prior to the CEL, and drove fine after the SP replacement and to the dealership. I would not have noticed any issues except of the light. So I don't even know if SP was the culprit to begin with.

This is what I don't get: the dealership just called and delivered the bad news.. they found coolant in #2 and referred me to TSB 22-2229. But that's for and ONLY for 2.0 engines. I know the 2.0 and 2.3 engines are similar, but they clearly mark the TSB for only 2.0. Is the dealership lying to me? The price tag? $8000+...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: The service advisor apologized and clarified that the TSB does NOT apply to me. It was pulled because the year/make/model before specifying the engine. Anyways. the damage is all the same with a cracked cylinder wall. They even sent me a picture.

Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device Display device Auto part
Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device Display device Auto part

·
Administrator
732 Posts
Oh crap!!! that is awful. Sorry man. I worried about the coolant issue but again did not think that was a concern with the 2.3L.

On a positive note that was the best 100 bucks ever spend, two thumbs up to that technician for great diagnosis and evidence.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now comes the question: should I bite the bullet and make the replacement, or should I trade in as-is? Does Carmax or Carvana take cars with CEL on? The dealership offered $7000 as is, whereas as the KBB book is $15-16k. So I’m pretty even. Of course, that is assuming that I can get full asking price after having to replace both the transmission and the engine. You would think that helps, but I doubt it…

·
Administrator
732 Posts
So my opinion's a little biased, I don't ever sell anything with repairs needed just because of the huge price hit that you take. One option to consider is putting a used motor in it which is somewhere between 2000 and 2500 for the motor plus labor and then either keeping it or trading it in

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am biased the other way. I would shop around and test drive what you want to purchase next. THEN I would drive the MKC over to negotiate a purchase and clear the code about a mile away (get an OBDII reader) and hope it stays cleared when they inspect it. The place you trade it with will probably just push it to auction.
option 2: try Block Seal. watch this youtube video:
It is a temporary solution. it could last 1 mile or 2000 miles or 24000 miles. but it could work well enough to help keep the CEL light out, to trade in.
and
option 3: used junkyard engine from a wreck and may be the smartest option if you think the other options would keep you from sleeping at night.
my 1.5 cents

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All good suggestions @Buckeye and @copbait. Here is where we stand, I have an open case with Lincoln Concierge who has requested and received a complete estimate from the dealership. They will review and get back to me by Thursday to see how much, if any, Lincoln could 'assist' me with. I am not exactly holding my breath, but am cautiously optimistic that they are even willing to help at all.

Ordered an OBD scanner anyways since I've wanted to keep one on hand but never had a need for it. Will definitely keep y'all updated where I land. FWIW, a MKC with my mileage equipment would fetch around $16K at my local used car lot, so any way I cut I should fare better than taking the 7K trade in. Thank you both for talking me off the ledge there to want to cut loose and be done with it 🤣.

Reactions: Jonzim

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: Lincoln called back this afternoon and gave me an offer that honestly surprised me: They are willing to split the cost 50/50 for a loyal customer. Granted I have done all of my oil change and a battery replacement there. So now I am looking at $4K with a brand new engine, which I don’t think I can beat with a third party shop or a used engine. Y’all think I should take it? The warranty with the new engine would be at least one year per the dealership but 3 years according to Lincoln concierge.

·
Administrator
732 Posts
Personally, I would do it if you could be out the the door for $4,000 bucks. If you really uncomfortable with the car trade in after that, but you're going to get much greater trade in value than the $4,000 expense I believe.

By the way, I did do a little Google researching on this and cylinder two wall cracks are common on the 2.3L at least with the focus and mustang but they claim it's more common after you have done performance upgrades.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts