Lincoln MKC Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There seems to be many oddities with this car...gremlins lurk all throughout it :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
I guess my MKC knows I'm always wired up on StarBucks coffee because it has NEVER flashed "Time to rest " at me....ever!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Have you ever driven 10 hours/day? I just went on a 2800 km trip and got the message several times but never when I might have expected it. It usually always happened an hour or so just after I had stopped for a break or for lunch.

·
Registered
881 Posts
countryguy, I agree that is weird,have you figured out what's setting it off yet?....2800 km, that's some L-O-N-G trip!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nope, I have no idea what causes it to trigger. This was my 2nd long trip in this car...went to Thunder Bay, ON via hwy 11 and then came back through the states via MN, WI, MI. Last summer I drove to Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Strange that I never seen it happen in mine.....ever!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Have you ever driven for 4-5 hours continuous with no stops? Or perhaps you have the warning turned off?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yes, we did a trip to Montreal, and it was whisper quiet....I'm pretty sure it's not turned off...but I'll check to make sure.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Now that I am retired I have not been driving the daily 50 km to and from work....usually just about 2 km to the post office and back. Yesterday I drove 25 km into North Bay to do a couple of errands and pick up groceries. I had just loaded the car with groceries, was on my way home, and after about driving in the car for 2 minutes the 'time to take a rest break' warning came on. I still have no idea what the algorithm is that triggers it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why don't you just turn it off in the settings ??

·
Registered
70 Posts
I figured it out. My wife tells me I'm driving lousy usually followed by a warning from my MKC. The only way I can turn it off is to leave my wife at home. ��

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I know I can turn it off but being very analytical and working in the I.T. world for 35 years, I want to know the reason for the warning, how it is programmed to work. Just turning it off does not give me the answer.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Probably has something to do with steering input. I got a few warnings on a trip last summer. Interesting enough I was pretty tired.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I don't think steering input has anything to do with it. I had only driven a couple of minutes when I got the warning the other day and I was not steering anywhere out of the normal i.e. not any evasive maneuvers, not changing lanes....just driving through the mall parking lot and then onto the highway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know I can turn it off but being very analytical and working in the I.T. world for 35 years, I want to know the reason for the warning, how it is programmed to work. Just turning it off does not give me the answer.
25 year IT guy should know that Google is your friend :)
Driver Alert System

The Driver Alert System is designed to help alert drowsy drivers by monitoring the vehicle’s movement compared to lane markings that are tracked by a camera mounted on the windshield. If the system detects a driving pattern consistent with a drowsy driver, a first-level chime will sound and a coffee cup warning will appear on the dashboard instrument cluster to recommend the driver take a break.

If the driver does not respond to this alert and the system continues to sense the driver is fatigued, another warning and chime will be issued. Drivers can monitor their condition on the dashboard at any time, even without receiving warnings. If they approach the yellow warning range, they should rest as soon as possible.

All information is reset as soon as the driver stops and either opens the door or turns off the engine. More than 40 percent of Americans say they have fallen asleep or nodded off while driving, according to a survey conducted by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
Also info from 2015 MKC owners manual
The system automatically monitors your driving behavior using various inputs including the front camera sensor.If the system detects that your driving alertness is reduced below a certain threshold, the system will alert you using a chime and a message in the information display.
Based on the above information the warning is sounded as you are drifting from your lane repeatedly. Perhaps a flaw in the technology or perhaps distraction due to technology?

I don't think steering input has anything to do with it. I had only driven a couple of minutes when I got the warning the other day and I was not steering anywhere out of the normal i.e. not any evasive maneuvers, not changing lanes....just driving through the mall parking lot and then onto the highway.
Perhaps all the markings in the mall parking lot were thought to be lane markings and if you drove across multiple markings (cross a parking lot) it interpreted this as crossing over lane markings repeatedly? Just a hunch.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
BobandSherry,

Don't believe everything you read on the internet :)

None of the material you quoted pertains to my driving situation so that still does not explain the warning. I do not drift from lane to lane, nor am I distracted as I neither use a cell phone or text while driving. As far as the system resetting itself every time the engine is shut off or a door is opened....I think there is definitely a problem there. I went on a long trip last summer. I drove for 4 hours without a stop and did not get any warning. I then stopped for lunch (an hour break), got back in the car and within a couple of minutes the warning message appeared. I definitely was not tired or drifting close to the lane markings.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You wanted to know how it works, that explains how it's supposed to work (it's not information I read on the internet, it's links to Ford/Lincoln documents). You are asking people to explain what shouldn't be occurring based on your details. If it's doing something different for you then I'd suggest taking in for dealer to look at. Good luck

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
For these kind of issues, which the service people at a dealership really do not consider important as it does not affect the drive ability of the car, it is a waste of my time. And calling the Lincoln concierge is no better....I've already done that route on other issues and got no satisfaction whatsoever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem, I too wanted to know the parameters. I read bobandsherry's above post which was right on point. After receiving the information I sought, I disabled the warning system.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts