Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I visited....been very busy with projects and things....So, back to this idiotic situation of rusting exhaust tips....it's NOT something that will disable an MKC from being driven, with that said, I'm also not happy at the crappy quality stainless steel FORD/LINCOLN is using on our exhausts!
I had the original resonators replaced within the first 3 or 4 months due to a huge accumulation of rust! these ones I have now are the NEW replacement....getting rusty all over again....brought it to the dealer's attention and they are looking into it yet again....From the price point of the MKC 2.3 FULLY loaded, I sure expected a BETTER quality stainless to be used on these tips....and I also doubt it actually is stainless steel they are using, more like some top coating, as in "bright works".....For reference: my 2003 truck, my 2011 Mustang GT has chrome exhaust tips...still looking the same as the day I bought them. FORD/ LINCOLN, if you want to compete in the higher end segment market, start using products that reflect quality....nothing says CRAP like rust all over exhaust tips within the first 3 months of ownership, rant over!

·
Registered
647 Posts
The exhaust tips on my MKC started rusting and pitting after the first winter. I just had them replaced about a month ago. They tried to clean them and buff them up but they were too pitted so Lincoln gave the OK to have them replaced. I'm confident that they will rust again unfortunately.

Reactions: 5.0 Candy REDCS

·
Registered
733 Posts
The byproduct of direct injection is soot which is probably more corrosive than the exhaust of a non DI engine. Bar keepers friend does a nice job on mine.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do use a cleaning product that removes the rust off of them when ever I wash the ride up....blankster, a true stainless will not corrode regardless of a DI engine, and Lincoln should have known better! It's unacceptable a brand new ride develops rust within the span of 3 months on both exhaust tips, my service advisor let me know I can have them replaced again.....to what end?
Countryguy, mine started to rust months after they were replaced,so really....what's the point of going through this exercise !!! These new ones have YET to see a snow season since they got replaced, MKC gets washed often enough and I can see rust rearing it's ugly head in between washes.....I'm convinced this is not caused by any exhaust byproduct, other than cheap Chinese made steel.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I usually clean mine with each washing - I guess I'm lucky..

·
Registered
647 Posts
5.0 Candy,

Mine started to rust over the first winter. I wouldn't have thought much about it until I saw your post that yours did the same and Lincoln replaced them under warranty for you.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I started doing my own investigation as to the why and the what of this idiotic situation....started off by cleaning the dirt off the tips ( washed it on saturday) and used a jeweller's lope to super enlarge the problem areas....turns out I was right....what I found out so far is this: at the point where the rust is occurring, looking at the spot through magnification, the rust is actually miniature spot blisters lifting off mild steel below the chrome.....the entire tips are made of mild steel then dipped/coated with this faux stainless application....it's the same ( almost ) process they use on cheap Canadian Tire aftermarket tips....top coating over mild steel that blisters within the first 3 months...I compared my tips to my neighbour's aftermarket tips he added to his wife's minivan, cheap Canadian Tire extension tips he says cost him $20.00 a pair!!!!!! same type of blistering....same type of application, and also same thickness... His tips are peeling rapidly and asked of I could get a small sample of the peeling chrome so I could measure it with a micrometer....he'll save me a small piece as it's coming off rapidly... willing to bet it be in the range of less than 5 thou....it's Rizla rolling paper thin, no wonder these tips are showing rust buildup almost instantly ( within the first 6 months! )....Lincoln should stop duping customers they are buying a quality upscale car....basic logic dictates using quality steel if not for the entire exhaust at least for these tips....so at their cost, they will have to YET again replace them ( according to my service advisor)....complete BS!
For reference I asked my daughter to take a close look at the tips on her BMW X3.....as new she tells me, zero rust anywhere!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just noticed on my 2015, the tips are rusty.

Guess next time she brings it in for a problem , I'll mention this. But if Lincoln is using cheap chrome tips. going to happen again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Went done to the Lincoln dealer today as we were out.

Service Tech gave a fast look and said that the rust looks "excessive". Therefore, my wife should call for an appointment to get the car in so they can look at it on a lift.

She should be calling them sometime this week.

Glad I'm on here for info.

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm very embarrassed :frown. The Mrs. brought the MKc in today and it wasn't rust but dirt. But hey...now I have clean rust free exhaust tips. :laugh

I actually applied a poly paint sealer from Griot's on mine prior to each winter. They still look like new!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts