Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the 2.3 and noticed that when I drive at a steady 30 to 35 mph the transmission hesitates when shifting into the next gear (unsure as to if it is 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th). The tach is about 1500/2000. It is consistently doing this and I would have thought that after 1500 miles my driving habits would have been recognized by the transmission. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes I am experiencing the same thing. I don't shift the gears though. It's in automatic mode. Meaning I don't use gear shifters. I keep it in comfort mode.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes on my date night car I thought it hesitated more than it should have. That was one of the reasons I preferred leaving it in sport mode.

Is there a way to show the current gear? My VW always has it up on the instrument cluster and it's handy to have. On that same note there is a long gradual hill when i leave the office. I usually take it slow since the engine is cold. Around 40 mph the transmission starts getting confused as to whether to continue up shifting or not

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue. It occurs most frequently when I am driving away from my house in my subdivision, not wanting to accelerate quickly, and I am sort of "feathering" the gas pedal to get it up to speed (30-35 mph) slowly and safely in my neighborhood. If I push the gas pedal firmly (not flooring it or anything) to get it up to speed, the transmission seems to know what to do. I suspect this is consistent with sg021's practice of keeping the transmission in "sport mode". I will have to try that sometime.

When it's my first drive of the day, I sometimes get a somewhat "hard" shift (not jolting or anything like that) from 2nd to 3rd. After that, the shifts are basically smooth but there is a hesitancy as if the tranny doesn't quite know what to do.

Highway driving is fine; city driving (pulling away swiftly from stoplights, etc.) seems OK as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2001 f150 ecoboost. It does the exact same thing. I believe its called turbo lag. My theory is the turbos do not spin up until they are called for. Hit the 30 mile an hour range or so, and there is a pause, then it takes off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2001 f150 ecoboost. It does the exact same thing. I believe its called turbo lag. My theory is the turbos do not spin up until they are called for. Hit the 30 mile an hour range or so, and there is a pause, then it takes off.
sure you meant 2011:wink

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar issue to what you're all describing, when I took into the dealer they told me that an exhaust hanger broke and that it was touching parts of the electronics on the transmission and grounding it out. I'm not sure if it was true or not but I have driven about 1000 miles since getting it back and it has been shifting without hesitation.

The other issue I have but they did not fix and noted it on the service history and told me they're going to give it some time and see if lincoln releases a service bulletin...when I press the reverse button it shifts into to gear very hard with a loud thump. When shifting into drive it shifts nice and smooth. So I feel something is wrong with the reverse shifting and I'm waiting to hear from the dealer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it is not the turbo. The vehicle has a new (first car to receive) Twin scroll turbo that is supposed to eliminate any lag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No such thing as no lag. Twin scrolls with tuned pulse exhaust manifold helps, but all turbos need to spool up to produce boost.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am a veteran of many turbo cars - starting from the early '80s. Those vehicles, right up to my wife's 2007 Volvo s60, had REAL turbo lag-each gear could feel as if there were two speeds to it. The low rpm lugging, then almost a slam when the boost came on.
While I don't have the 2.3 (2.0 has more tow rating), I can say this EcoBoost does not have any turbo lag in the classic sense. If it is there, I can't feel it- the powerband is wonderfully broad.
What the thread starter seems to describing is lazy gear changes. Try putting it in "S" and see if the shifts firm up.
Modern transmissions are all software controlled, so there may be a way for the dealer to 'flash' in a firmer shift profile for "D". This was done for my '06 Mountaineer early on, and I rode around happily for 8 years and 160k miles before flipping into the MKC.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am a veteran of many turbo cars - starting from the early '80s. Those vehicles, right up to my wife's 2007 Volvo s60, had REAL turbo lag-each gear could feel as if there were two speeds to it. The low rpm lugging, then almost a slam when the boost came on.
While I don't have the 2.3 (2.0 has more tow rating), I can say this EcoBoost does not have any turbo lag in the classic sense. If it is there, I can't feel it- the powerband is wonderfully broad.
What the thread starter seems to describing is lazy gear changes. Try putting it in "S" and see if the shifts firm up.
Modern transmissions are all software controlled, so there may be a way for the dealer to 'flash' in a firmer shift profile for "D". This was done for my '06 Mountaineer early on, and I rode around happily for 8 years and 160k miles before flipping into the MKC.
I think this is the right answer as well. From what I felt when I had the date night it seemed less related to the turbo and more the transmission. Putting the MKC in Sport fixed the issue, at least in my eyes.

The twin scrolls I've been in feel pretty good, it's hard to feel the lag like I do in my current 2.0 single scroll. However, you can really feel when the boost is starting to hit, which is fun in its own right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks I spoke to a friend that used to flash powertrains for a OEM and he told me to have the Dealer re-Flash it as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I put it in sport mode, I noticed less lag then when I had it in comfort mode.

Reactions: TxTom

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the problem was the transmission. They had to rebuild the whole thing. Took two weeks. Was glad I was still under warranty. The rental alone was $600. I have been reading about the torque converters going on the 2.3 engine on the web.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts