Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about the last 6 months my left side buttons intermittently didn't work or did the opposite of what was pushed (ie the up arrow clicked OK instead of scrolling up). They progressively got worse so I ordered new left buttons thinking they were bad. They are arriving today but now over the weekend all of the buttons stopped working completely even the horn doesn't work. However my heated steering wheel does heat up. Could it be the clock spring and does anybody know the part number I would need? I have a 2016 Lincoln MKC Reserve 2.0 engine. I have a heated steering wheel but most of the parts say Without Heated Steering Wheel, unless they mean the button isn't mounted on the steering wheel because mine is on the screen to turn it on and off. Thank you

Administrator
GJ7Z-3F791-CC. With power tilt with lane assist and with heat. Comes with steering control module

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks copbait. That part looks like the whole steering column assembly I just need the air bag clock spring (I think). I did find Lincoln part number EG9Z-14A664-J that says it鈥檚 for a heated steering wheel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update. While I'm waiting on the airbag clock spring to arrive I did some testing. I plugged in my laptop that has forscan and I'm getting the following codes.
B137F - Steering Wheel Left Switch Pack - Component Failure - Circuit Voltage Above Threshold
B1380 - Steering Wheel Right Switch Pack - Component Failure - Circuit Voltage Above Threshold
The shift paddles and none of the steering wheel buttons work. No airbag trouble light on and the heated wheel does work. Turn signals and wipers work fine. I removed the clock spring to test it with an ohmmeter. I have continuity through the heated wheel circuit. I did not have test leads small enough for the airbag connector but it looks like it's on the same ribbon cable so I assume it's fine too because of no dash lights. The other ribbon cable for what I think is the shift paddles and other buttons I get no continuity on any of the pins. I opened up the clock spring housing but didn't notice any physical damage. I didn't want to unwind it because I still needed to reinstall it. I don't think the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) is at fault because the turn signals, wipers, etc are all fine.

In conclusion I think the Circuit Voltage Above Threshold is because the switches are resistance-based and if the ribbon circuits are open that could be causing the error. I'll update when I get the new clock spring installed whether it fixed it or not.

Registered
is there a relay switch associated with all that?

Administrator
Not that I know of.
I鈥檓 pretty sure you got it figured out correctly with regards to how it works @HurleyBird The way I understand it is resistance based communication between the switch and the SCCM, SCCM converts to a can signal.

Ford used to run resistance based from the switch all the way to the radio and it was fraught with error codes as any dust or dirt in the switches would cause incorrect resistance.

Do you have forscan? there is a way you can test the switch in there and see what the SCCM sees when you push each button

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have the free version of forscan but I'm not familiar with how to test the buttons.

Administrator
OK I鈥檒l do a video and show you

Reactions: HurleyBird

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is great thank you @copbait I'll hook my laptop up this evening and give it a try. I'm hoping the new clock spring ships soon and fixes my problem because not having cruise is harder than I thought.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@copbait your video was very helpful. I tested my steering wheel buttons last night with Forscan and they all reported as "Released" and had no change when I pushed buttons. I then tested my turn signals which are also on the SCCM and they changed from Off to On. So this all but confirms a bad clock spring. Now I just need to wait until mine gets here. Shipping delays are the common theme this year with almost everything.

Administrator
That sounds great, I think you are on the right path. There sure is not much between the buttons and the SCCM except the clockspring. Keep me up to date, I want to hear how this one finalizes

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SUCCESS! Got my new clock spring yesterday and it took about 15 minutes to install it. All of my steering wheel buttons are working again and most importantly my cruise control. I might tear down my old one sometime and see where it's broke.

Administrator
1 - 15 of 15 Posts