Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the dealer that the stop and go at stop lights only comes with the tech package. Is that true?

Also, he said that if you have it, you can switch it off. But it only switches off for the duration of that drive unti you shut the engine off. You have to switch it off each time you start the engine. IS that true?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the stop and go at stop lights only comes with the tech package. Is that true?

Also, he said that if you have it, you can switch it off. But it only switches off for the duration of that drive unti you shut the engine off. You have to switch it off each time you start the engine. IS that true?
Yes that is true.
I wish ther was a "stay off" button.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wonder what technology is used to restart. I don't sense a starter. Works kind of like a hybrid

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe it's a heavier duty starter and higher capacity battery than the models without Auto Start/Stop. The engine restarts when you reduce brake pressure so you can have it running when you anticipate that it will be clear to proceed. If you engage the Auto Hold function, the engine won't restart until press the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In any case, a ridiculous feature I turn off all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
FYI, my 2019 Reserve with the 2.3 engine does not have the Start/Stop function. And the EPA is not as good as the 2.0 engine...
FYI, the MPGs are not as good because your engine is bigger and not the lack of a start/stop feature.

·
Registered
266 Posts
FYI, the MPGs are not as good because your engine is bigger and not the lack of a start/stop feature.
Yes, I agree re actual MPG. I was making the point that the EPA mileage is improved with Start/Stop, otherwise there would be little incentive for Lincoln to invest in the feature if it didn't get some value in meeting the EPA target/requirement. Maybe 1 MPG for the City EPA?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, I agree re actual MPG. I was making the point that the EPA mileage is improved with Start/Stop, otherwise there would be little incentive for Lincoln to invest in the feature if it didn't get some value in meeting the EPA target/requirement. Maybe 1 MPG for the City EPA?
0w20 oil was introduced in many vehicles because of the rising CAFE regulations to squeeze another .2-.3 miles per to up the auto manufacturers average MPG. The stop/start for the same reason. I don't think the stop/start adds one MPG but does add something.
I believe Pres Trump gave some CAFE relief to auto manufacturers which to me is a good thing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm actually glad that someone brought this up and reminded me. My '17 2.3 AWD have a "auto start-stop" feature buried in the left dash menu but it doesn't seem to do anything. It's checked every time I navigate to it but my car has never stopped running at a light or anything. I don't have an auto start-stop button to the right of my center console screen like the 2.0 counterparts, so does that mean that I don't have that feature.

Don't get me wrong, I have a co-worker that has it and she hates it, in fact, I can't say that I have met anyone who actually likes the feature. I was just wondering why the ASS feature isn't found on my car, where the argument for more MPG improvement could be greater?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The auto start/stop comes standard on the Ford Escape 1.5L and 2.0L engines, hence the technology is there for the MKC 2.0L engine. The 2.3L engine is not used in the Escape so there may not have been enough incentive to apply the technology to the 2.3L engine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, thanks everyone for your responses. I just leased the 2.3 Reserve and it doesn;t have "stop and go" even though it's coming with with the tech package. For some reason, the 2.3 is different than the 2.0.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Alan, I have the same model you are leasing, have had it since November. The 2.3 engine does not have Start/Stop, guess it it because Lincoln decided it is performance oriented and would not significantly improve EPA city mileage. My mileage is not very good, but we don't drive enough for that to matter. With 600 miles on it, getting around 20-21 city and 25-26 highway, using 89 octane. Someone on the forum did a test among the different octanes and found the best mileage at 89, vs 87 or 93...but agree it probably doesn't pay for the $0.20/gallon difference here in TX over 87 octane. Still in the testing mode. Performance is excellent. Reports say 6.5 sec 0-60. I'd say off the line in S it feels quicker than that. Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well here in New Jersey, there's a $.50 difference between 87 and 93. (sometimes 30 cents sometimes 60 cents???) I asked on another thread but let me ask it here too. Does anyone notice any knocking or loss of power or acceleration when you need it when using regular gas?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use 87 octane 2 outta 3 tanks , then a tank of 89 octane,

I do realize some increase in mpg, and can sense better pedal response, car seems to pull better on interstate, with more power, not a lot, but I can tell.

Never have experienced any knocking , or real power loss on 87 octane, just not quite as responsive.

Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have a 2019 2.0L Reserve AWD and use the Auto Stop/Start all the time - I hardly notice it and it's fine with me.
I asked our mechanic how it works as it does not use the starter motor/flywheel engagement. It's a simple and brilliant concept - when the motor stops, 2 cylinders are charged with gas ready to go - and when you restart all they do is detonate and the motor is 'up and running' again. What a great idea - no wear on the starter or load on the battery.

·
208 Posts
That is amazing I just assumed it was a starter getting it going again. I have never been a fan of the technology but after hearing that I am.

·
Registered
266 Posts
We have a 2019 2.0L Reserve AWD and use the Auto Stop/Start all the time - I hardly notice it and it's fine with me.
I asked our mechanic how it works as it does not use the starter motor/flywheel engagement. It's a simple and brilliant concept - when the motor stops, 2 cylinders are charged with gas ready to go - and when you restart all they do is detonate and the motor is 'up and running' again. What a great idea - no wear on the starter or load on the battery.
I have a 2019 2.0 MKC Reserve and 2019 2.3 MKC Reserve. FYI, the 2.0 has the Auto Start/Stop feature and a 760 Amp battery. The 2.3 does not have this feature, and has a 610 Amp battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good point, yes I knew the 2.3L doesn't have the Stop/Start. So the bigger battery must come into play some how.
Here's a quote from the Haynes car manual folks -
" There are also some systems that don't require the starter motor to be activated, but start the car via compression – effectively bump starting the car while it's stationary.
Fuel is pumped into the combustion chamber which forces the piston down thus kick starting the combustion process."

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2019 2.0 MKC Reserve and 2019 2.3 MKC Reserve. FYI, the 2.0 has the Auto Start/Stop feature and a 760 Amp battery. The 2.3 does not have this feature, and has a 610 Amp battery.
I just had a thought why the 2.0L has a bigger battery - to maintain electric power when the alternator's not running the systems during Stop/Start.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts