Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2019 Lincoln MKC 2.3 Reserve. I use my Google map navigation. I have to plug in my Android so it displays and runs on the car's screen. My phone will operate on Bluetooth but I need to plug in for navigation. My wife uses her iPhone to navigate similarly on the car's screen. I believe she has to plug in too but maybe it runs just with Bluetooth. Once in a while, I'll use the car's Sync 3 navigation system although I find Google's is better.

I just received a notice from Ford to update my Sync 3 Navigation Map system. $199 for 5 years. $40 additional per year for USB.

Any advantages to update?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The short answer is - no - with qualifiers. The update will provide newer data - the problem is that even the newest maps for this system are at minimum 1 year out of date.

Would it be of benefit to update - sure - you get more current data. Is it worth 2 Franklins - NO. At least not in my opinion. Now the value proposition is the question - on those rare occasions when you use the Sync nav - would it be worth it to YOU if you had the most current maps available - OR - Do you have $200 you do not mind parting with so you can enjoy that benefit?

For me - not worth it - at that price. If they priced it at say $50 or less - I might be a buyer - otherwise I stick with Google maps or Waze.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I echo what Tourguide says. If you have and use your cellphone, I would use that. I personally use waze for notifications for police, road construction, and debris in the road.

Reactions: DRM

·
Registered
2017 Lincoln MKC
29 Posts
I really like the Sync 3 Nav screen and features but it can't always find an address or POI I am interested in. In those cases I use Apple Car-play with the most current maps. I also don't see a need to part with $200 for a map update that is already out of date . Good advice above. YMMV.

·
Administrator
732 Posts
There is a "not official" update technique called cyanlabs. High risk but I have used them to upgrade to 3.4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts