Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Terrible resale

10K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Erfar 
#1 · (Edited)
LOL So I went to Carmax to get an offer for the car. They offered $26K....for a $46800 MSRP.

I was looking at Rangers and the Ford Lincoln Dealer offered me $36K Everyone else $25K. this for a car with a residual of $28K in two years!! LOL That's why I would never buy a Lincoln new or used.

Looking to get a Ranger. My Lincoln/Ford dealer offered $35K on a trade so $4000 upside down is not bad.

#4 ·
Here's a clue, ALL Luxury Cars and SUV depreciate at a rate faster than a regular car or SUV. Additionally CarMax is one of the worst places to sell your car or buy one, unless you need a fast sale.

One has a choice when buying vehicles, pay cash, my preferred method, buy and keep 8-10 years with loan, great when it is 0.0% no reason to pay cash or lease. 1 car payment, multiple car payments then done or lease forever, make a choice it is not hard and there are pros and cons to each, no method is superior to another either, it all depends upon your finical situation.

I personally do not like leasing, mainly I don't like the third party leasing company involved, it is not for me.

#5 ·
I don't lease Toyotas. Also I pay cash (unless I can get a 2% or less rate) Toyota has the best resale. I traded a 2016 4runner for a new one and paid $5000 TOTAL negative equity to get into a like 2017. Also did the same with a Tacoma.

I was not prepared for a $20K depreciation in 6 months LOL.

My local dealer offered $35000 on trade. I owe $38600. My lease is $399.

The reason I leased the Lincoln is because it has horrible resale.I did not think HOW horrible LOL. I would never buy a domestic. The MKC was a great lease deal. My local dealer will get me out of it when they get a Ranger optioned as I want.

#8 ·
Traded it on a Ranger. FAR cry from other dealers who offered $26K INstead I got $35000 for the Lincoln. I was $4800 upside down. MUCH better than $26K. The Lincoln was a place holder for the Ranger now that they are available.

#9 ·
You're always going to get a horrible trade in value from CarMax or similar. Only Ford or Lincoln would give you slightly better acceptable trade in value (because they will CPO it) but I was surprised you were offered $36 for it. If you want the max amount possible why not find someone to assume the lease. Then it could be a zero dollar hit on your wallet. Lincoln should allow it, especially if they know you're planning to get another Ford product.

#10 ·
Not many vehicles hold their value, just nature of the game. I buy them 3 years old as I did my MKC. Paid $19k last August out the door for a 2015 Reserve with cash and the window sticker was ~$44k.

Honestly, buying a rapidly depreciating asset like a vehicle is generally a terrible financial decision. That's why places like fair.com and hyrecar and the like will take over the world. At least until autonomous driving is good enough where they legislate away your ability to drive :)

#11 ·
My '17 Reserve MKC only has 11,600 miles on it. I decided I need a bigger vehicle, but don't want to spend $60,000 + on a new Nautilus. I've been shopping for a new Ford Edge and am only getting offers of $25,000 - $27,000 for my trade. MSRP was over $46,000 when new.

Reactions: Billy W
#12 ·
Lincolns do depreciate faster than the Fords they are based on and faster than the target competition BMW, Audi, MB, Lexus and Acura. This really holds the brand back. Much as I have liked our MKC, it will be the last Lincoln we own. We also have a 2018 Edge Titanium and it's just a nice as the Lincoln.

#13 ·
My 2015 MKC will be the last for me as well when my lease ends in June. I tried a 2019 MKC but have decided on a 2019 Volvo XC60. I was told that the wholesale value of my MKC is only $17-18,000 and the residual value of the lease is $25,000 so the car dealers won't even consider it for a trade. I'll just be turning it in and picking up the XC60 in June.

#14 ·
Exactly why I bought mine used. Paid a bit more for a certified ( Black Labell, not that that means much to a second owners) used by a dealer rep. 2016, 27,000 miles Bumper to Bumper for another 3 years. Drivetrain more time yet. My wife wanted a new car with a great fancy interior. The only ones she saw she liked were the new Volvo XC 40 and the Mercedes GLC both optioned out the way she wanted it was $50,000. I show her the MKC interior and that was I. The running. We went to look new but I knew our local dealership had some used upper scale ones and was ok with used ( I knew the depreciation and would never buy a Lincoln new). I feel I saved almost $25,000 from what I could have paid with the others ( or this new as it listed for 49,000 new.)

#17 ·
I'm so happy with my car and price paid that I don't think I'll ever buy a brand new vehicle again. The first buyer really is the sucker. I keep my cars a very long time; last one I bought new and had for 13 yrs.

In January I paid $28k for my 2016 Reserve, put $16k down and just paid it off.

I would only worry about resale value if I was one who liked to buy a new car very often. Anyone worrying about being upside is not putting enough down to start with. jmho

#18 ·
A lease will only work to the buyers benefit if they procure a vehicle with a high resale value in their specific area where they live. In Texas a properly equipped truck will have a high resale value, Subaru’s will not. Subaru’s have a high resale value in New England. Lincoln’s, with a few exceptions, do not have a high resale value especially compared to Lexus and other competitors.

#19 ·
Looking to get a Ranger. My Lincoln/Ford dealer offered $35K on a trade so $4000 upside down is not bad.[/QUOTE]

I was having the MKC serviced and took a look at the new Ranger. Not a bad looking truck, almost as large as my F150 and they are putting the 2.3L turbo in them so it should have some power.

#22 · (Edited)
If you're looking at the Ranger, it's good that your Lincoln/Ford dealer gave a better offer. Being $4000 upside down isn't ideal, but it's not too bad considering the value of the Ranger and your trade-in. Just make sure to negotiate and explore all options to get the best deal.
Resale can be a tricky game, but finding the right dealer makes all the difference. Don't hesitate to ask professionals in the financial sphere (like mortgage broker in Blackpool) for advice if you need it. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.