Lincoln MKC Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
OMG mayday. So sorry you have to go through this. WOW. Lincoln doesn't want to build their company do they? How do they expect to get and keep customers? i know they probably feel it's just such a small percentage and one client/car here or there won't hurt...

I think they are wrong. It's a different world out there with the Internet and easier word of mouth. One client 20 years ago that no one heard the story of is now millions on the Internet. They need all the positive they can get, particularly when they are trying to get people excited and interested in their new model cars.

I have been having an odd problem with my MKC since I got it. I have been trying to work with the dealer and Lincoln in trying to get it fixed/resolved. My husband owns multiple manufacturing companies in his families business and if anyone knows (and is understanding) about things like that it's us. As you said things happen sometimes. He knows that and all he can do for his clients is "make it right" which sometimes involves a simple fix or sometimes his company has to take responsibility and take huge losses. He accepts it as part of his business and feels retaining the client and preserving the companies reputation is #1 .

Our problem is not as black and white (I feel) as yours so I was surprised to hear after your first report that they will not replace your car. Is it ONE hole? Because my goodness it sounds like a total flood! I could see lincoln's position if only a small amount of water is getting in and one hole (and I would demand major replacement of anything that can hold/breed mold - complete cleaning down to the metal of EVERYTHING - mold is nothing to fool around with) but it sounds ridiculous.

I am surprised too because we are talking about possibility of mold which is a health hazard! Especially inside a closed in vehicle. Lincoln could really be setting themselves up for more. You would think they would just not take the chance?

This was my first Lincoln (walking out of and away from a new Q5). It was hard decision to make as the reputation of Audi/q5 is solid and I was most definitely skeptical spending more (yes Msrp on the MKC I got was just under 49K, Audi Q5 48K) on a Lincoln but I liked it so much. Overall we are not hearing bad stories (unfortunately just for us) so in general it seems like a good car. Lincoln should recognize this too and take care of the few people out there that may be having issues.

I understand a car company cannot just give out new cars instantly when someone has a problem. Their strategy will always be to try to fix it first. That's kind of why the lemon law is setup the way it is I guess, fairness to both parties ( that they have an opportunity to fix it). I am sure as much as there are legitimate people out there with legitimate problems, the reality is they (and dealers) probably deal with a fair amount of unreasonable people too.

I really hope they just give you another car. The whole water/mold thing for me is not good. I don't know how comfortable I would be unless I watched them pull the whole car apart and clean it. Plus what if there are more leaks that they haven't found? You have water everywhere. I can't imagine all that getting in one little hole!

Good luck with everything. Please keep us posted and I hope they come to their senses soon and not put you through the stress.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update: We will be getting the car back tomorrow and filing and giving our attorney all records and move forward with suing Lincoln.

The car we bought was a Lincoln MKC it was 4 months old with just over 5,000 miles. Lincoln dealership found a leak but I am confident it is not the only leak but these are the same guys that told us there wasn't a leak and returned a car with 10-20 gallons of water in it.

I got Lincoln USA involved and after investigation was told interior is not covered under the manufacture warranty but as good faith they will replace the carpet only. They will not replace the seats or padding that have mold or any of the electronics that had water coming out of them.

I have photo's and video taken last week 2 weeks after the car was taken apart and carpet removed. In those photos there is standing water in the floor pan of the car with black mold in it. The padding on the firewall is propped up because it would be to much work to remove. The same propped up padding was still as wet as a sponge you could squeeze it and very rank water would come pouring out. Stuck my hand inside the right rear quarter where "the leak was found" to discover it was still wet as well.

We will never do business with Ford or Lincoln again after this. I don't think they build bad cars **** happens to all manufactures. But how you treat your customer you can control and spending $50k with a manufacture that forgets about you the minute they collect their money is not something I can support.

The car smells like a science project, from just touching parts of the car I ended up getting sick on the way home from the smell on my hand and having to roll down the window. I am the same guy that works with paint, cleaners, and all sorts of stuff and I'm never bothered. Also due to the water in seatbelt locks and airbag plugs and fuse panel I am not confident in the safety system. So because of these things we won't be driving the car at all it is not safe.

That said we do plan on doing a vinyl wrap on the car stating that it is a lemon and a piece of junk and Lincoln refuses to make it right (more to it then that but you get the idea). We will then take the car and park it next door to the local Ford and Lincoln dealerships just to keep attention and hopefully get attention of someone at Lincoln or the Dealership that so far has refused to talk with us.

So the story here is Ford/Lincoln will not stand behind their product even when they know they are at fault. So I encourage you to think twice about buying their products I know we will.....

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Update: We will be getting the car back tomorrow and filing and giving our attorney all records and move forward with suing Lincoln.

The car we bought was a Lincoln MKC it was 4 months old with just over 5,000 miles.
I'm a bit confused. From the thread, it appears you bought the MKC new, but the last message seems to indicate you bought it used. Was it certified pro-owned or just used?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry we bought the car new, the car was 4 months old when it first went into dealership for this issue it is about 5.5 months old now.

·
Registered
42 Posts

The car we bought was a Lincoln MKC it was 4 months old with just over 5,000 miles. Lincoln dealership found a leak but I am confident it is not the only leak but these are the same guys that told us there wasn't a leak and returned a car with 10-20 gallons of water in it.

I got Lincoln USA involved and after investigation was told interior is not covered under the manufacture warranty but as good faith they will replace the carpet only. They will not replace the seats or padding that have mold or any of the electronics that had water coming out of them.

I have photo's and video taken last week 2 weeks after the car was taken apart and carpet removed. In those photos there is standing water in the floor pan of the car with black mold in it. The padding on the firewall is propped up because it would be to much work to remove. The same propped up padding was still as wet as a sponge you could squeeze it and very rank water would come pouring out. Stuck my hand inside the right rear quarter where "the leak was found" to discover it was still wet as well.

We will never do business with Ford or Lincoln again after this. I don't think they build bad cars **** happens to all manufactures. But how you treat your customer you can control and spending $50k with a manufacture that forgets about you the minute they collect their money is not something I can support.

The car smells like a science project, from just touching parts of the car I ended up getting sick on the way home from the smell on my hand and having to roll down the window. I am the same guy that works with paint, cleaners, and all sorts of stuff and I'm never bothered. Also due to the water in seatbelt locks and airbag plugs and fuse panel I am not confident in the safety system. So because of these things we won't be driving the car at all it is not safe.

That said we do plan on doing a vinyl wrap on the car stating that it is a lemon and a piece of junk and Lincoln refuses to make it right (more to it then that but you get the idea). We will then take the car and park it next door to the local Ford and Lincoln dealerships just to keep attention and hopefully get attention of someone at Lincoln or the Dealership that so far has refused to talk with us.

So the story here is Ford/Lincoln will not stand behind their product even when they know they are at fault. So I encourage you to think twice about buying their products I know we will.....
Wow, that is very disappointing to hear. I really thought they were going to do the right thing and replace it outright. I'd like to think that my dealership would take over where Lincoln dropped the ball, but then again, that would mean they were taking back a vehicle that they couldn't sell. My suggestion to you is that you run a hose over it for a day when you get it back and then drive it back in full of water. Lemon law should kick in at that point.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Unbelievable!! There was a hole where it shouldn't have been that caused the problem with the interior. The fact that they plugged that hole but will not fix the damage caused by it is absolutely ridiculous. Do you know whether that hole exists in all MKCs or was it a defect just in yours?

I would think that you should win on the probable health issues alone, but the possible safety issues with driving a car like yours seems to be a slam dunk. I can't fathom how they think that they can just walk away from this. How is your attorney going to approach the case? Do you qualify yet for the lemon law in your state? It would seem to me that that would be the easiest way to go, but not if you have to continue to drive the car to do it.

We feel the same way about Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep that you do about Ford?Lincoln, but therein lies the problem for the consumer - which manufacturer(s) will really stand behind their product these days?

If you can, please keep us posted on your case; if you have to wait until the case has been resolved, please don't forget to come back and report the outcome.

I sincerely hope that Ford/Lincoln is forced to take responsibility for their problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
To have that much water the hole(s) would have to be huge. The seats had water? Did someone vandalize this car? Sounds like key parts were not included during assembly, Was the car involved in a flood before you bought it?
Amazing story never heard of such extreme issues with a new vehicle.
Good luck hope it works out somehow.
Lincoln quality control should replace this vehicle and take yours to study and figure out what happened.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well the car was delivered back to us at our house this evening. The only positive thing I can say is they replaced one piece of padding it was the one with the swimming pool in it when they dropped it off last time (the padding inside spare tire well to prevent road noise and rattles)

I spent 30 minutes taking photos of damage inside the car from them ripping the thing apart and putting it together. Then told the guy take the car back to the dealership we won't accept it in this condition. I gave specific instructions to leave the car untouched until I make it down there tomorrow. So now I have to drive 2 hours round trip plus most likely spend 2 more hours there discussing things.

At this point I'll admit I'm being nit picky, but I have every right to be. I shouldn't have to live with scratches and scuffs and pry marks on plastic or leather or anything else. This was a brand new car that we babied and did not have a mark on it. We shouldn't have to accept any damage however minor it is because they can't do good work.

Anyways here is a list of damages noted and photographed.

Drivers Area

Door
- Scuff mark on interior panel above leather

Seat
- Pry marks on front bolt access covers
- Stress marks on access cover left rear
- Scratches Front left of drivers seat on lower plastic
- Scratches Rear left of drivers seat on lower plastic
- Leather damaged (rubbed) back of seat on left side
- Leather on bolster of seat large scratch
- Dents & Scratches on rocker panel cover
Foot Well
- Rust on steering column
- Rust on throttle bracket metal
- Carpet not installed correctly behind brake peddle
Dash
Pry mark damage to drivers side lower dash

Rear Hatch
- Glue all over rear hatch trim
- Pry marks upper right rear trim in hatch area
- Seat-belt trim not installed right rear
- Hole in dampening material and stress marks from removal

Back Seats
- Right rear panel not installed/aligned tight rear seat area pillar
- Chip in paint inside door area of right rear seat
- Leather deformed on back seats from being pushed against something for extended period

Front Passenger Area

Seat
- Leather not fixed as requested when returned last time it is loose and not tight like it was before dealer removed for TSB
- Scratches & Scuffs passenger seat rear right plastic
- Scratches & scuffs passenger seat control panel
- Stress marks to plastic access cover left rear next to console

Exterior
Surface rust all chrome trim on drivers side of car

·
Registered
795 Posts
WOW.. I don't even know what to say..except first sorry you are enduring this.

I am simply astounded. In your earlier posts regarding this it sounded like you had a great relationship with the dealer. Then after the issue became significant you mentioned they would not speak with you anymore, What happened?

Not only the water leak but all the damage to "fix" your car? I would completely lose it. My car goes in for a number of fixes soon and I am SO nervous it's going to come back ripped apart. It was in a few months ago and they did something (testing?) the passenger seat for the upcoming TSB work and the seat wasn't put back together correctly and there were pry marks/scratches on plastic and scuff mark on the leather. The leather was already wrinkled some on one side upon delivery (poor quality) and after they did what they did it's worse.

I just can't believe it's even a question about giving you another car. If not before definitely now that they've done so much damage "fixing" it. A new car is supposed to be something you enjoy not have to go to court over. I hope they dont make you do that.

Again, sorry to hear of this craziness. Please keep us informed as you can. The outcome (hopefully good) will help me and others make decisions about future car/manufacturer purchases. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
pry marks and leather issues

WOW.. I don't even know what to say..except first sorry you are enduring this.

I am simply astounded. In your earlier posts regarding this it sounded like you had a great relationship with the dealer. Then after the issue became significant you mentioned they would not speak with you anymore, What happened?

Not only the water leak but all the damage to "fix" your car? I would completely lose it. My car goes in for a number of fixes soon and I am SO nervous it's going to come back ripped apart. It was in a few months ago and they did something (testing?) the passenger seat for the upcoming TSB work and the seat wasn't put back together correctly and there were pry marks/scratches on plastic and scuff mark on the leather. The leather was already wrinkled some on one side upon delivery (poor quality) and after they did what they did it's worse.

I just can't believe it's even a question about giving you another car. If not before definitely now that they've done so much damage "fixing" it. A new car is supposed to be something you enjoy not have to go to court over. I hope they dont make you do that.

Again, sorry to hear of this craziness. Please keep us informed as you can. The outcome (hopefully good) will help me and others make decisions about future car/manufacturer purchases. Good luck.
A couple things you mention, relate to me.
1. When my auto returned from having the buttons rearranged, there were four tiny gouges in the vinyl of the console that I assume were made when they pried off the piece. I didn't notice it at first, but once I did it is obvious every time I get into the vehicle. Even I know they should have used a cloth under their tool to prevent such damage. Living two hours away from dealer, I have not taken it back to complain. 2. My MKC came in as a dealer trade. Fortunately, I looked it over before paying for it. The leather on the passenger seat was horribly bunchy. I was sick to my stomach over it and finally got up the nerve to say I could not accept it. Their solution was for me to take possession, and wait four weeks for a factory replacement seat to arrive, and drive back for the job to be done. When I said no thanks, they pulled a seat from one on the lot and swapped it while I took a loaner car to the movies.

·
Registered
795 Posts
A couple things you mention, relate to me.
1. When my auto returned from having the buttons rearranged, there were four tiny gouges in the vinyl of the console that I assume were made when they pried off the piece. I didn't notice it at first, but once I did it is obvious every time I get into the vehicle. Even I know they should have used a cloth under their tool to prevent such damage. Living two hours away from dealer, I have not taken it back to complain. 2. My MKC came in as a dealer trade. Fortunately, I looked it over before paying for it. The leather on the passenger seat was horribly bunchy. I was sick to my stomach over it and finally got up the nerve to say I could not accept it. Their solution was for me to take possession, and wait four weeks for a factory replacement seat to arrive, and drive back for the job to be done. When I said no thanks, they pulled a seat from one on the lot and swapped it while I took a loaner car to the movies.
Anyone else out there have poorly made seats? Like you skirk I live far away from dealer. I did not immediately notice on delivery because we picked up car late at close and it was raining/dark. I didn't complain or bring back at first because we live far away too. My passenger seat looks old and wrinkled, and NO ONE sits in the passenger side. When I finally did bring it up to dealer (because I had a number of other issues) they tried to say normal from someone sitting on it. NO WAY. It looks terrible and like you my eyes are drawn to it every time I get in the car. Totally shoddy for a 49K luxury vehicle. I kept bringing it up so they are saying it will get "fixed" when they do my seat TSB. It goes in next week so we will see

I backed my MKC into our motor home :frown a few weeks ago and the hatch had to be replaced by body shop. I was terrified they too would ruin the plastic moldings when they disassembled/reassembled. Surprisingly it came back with NO scratches and only one clip was not fastened. They took it back and redid it and still no scratches so they knew how to do things without damaging. They put rear spookier piece on wrong (not lying flush against back windshield)and has to go back but nothing is damaged

You would expect may days dealership would be able to do this work without damaging the vehicle so much. I would be in tears (or ready to strangle someone) if my car came back like that. I really can't wait to see the dealers response to all the damage they caused.

·
Registered
214 Posts

How can that be? I thought the warranty was "bumper to bumper". Were you able to verify that the interior is not covered in the manual or in your paperwork?

Any updates?

·
Registered
160 Posts
something doesn't seem right or even possible in this story.
But that doesn't mean its not what it is

·
Registered
160 Posts
The new Edge has a good many MKC parts

·
Registered
160 Posts
MayDay any updates on this situation?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts