Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever need to get out of the car for a moment, with the car running, say to get something from your garage, hand something to someone, open the passenger car door for someone, brush snow off the car, etc.? We all do.

Do this with your MKC however (with the key fob in your pocket), and you get a lovely loud honk of the horn (to remind those that may walk away from a running car, forgetting to turn it off), and apparently there is no option to turn this off. Nothing like attracting attention when you're trying to be discreet or just mind your own business, you cannot. As soon as you close the door; HONK HONK!!!

This is complete insanity, and my dealer tells me there is no way to turn this off. Someone please tell me my dealer is wrong, and Lincoln is not this ignorant and insensitive to people's daily behaviours?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ever need to get out of the car for a moment, with the car running, say to get something from your garage, hand something to someone, open the passenger car door for someone, brush snow off the car, etc.? We all do.

Do this with your MKC however (with the key fob in your pocket), and you get a lovely loud honk of the horn (to remind those that may walk away from a running car, forgetting to turn it off), and apparently there is no option to turn this off. Nothing like attracting attention when you're trying to be discreet or just mind your own business, you cannot. As soon as you close the door; HONK HONK!!!

This is complete insanity, and my dealer tells me there is no way to turn this off. Someone please tell me my dealer is wrong, and Lincoln is not this ignorant and insensitive to people's daily behaviours?

Shirtmkc - I agree with you on this. I have implemented my own work-around (which is really inadequate, but it's the best I can come up with). When I get out of the car in the situation you've described, I simply take the time to s-l-o-w-l-y close the door, without latching it so the HONK HONK does not occur. Ridiculous, but it works.

Similar issue: why do we have to receive a loud HONK when we hit the fob twice to confirm that the MKC is locked (I think we need to do this in order for the "approach detection" feature to work, though I could be wrong on that). Regardless, my 2004 Acura emitted a soft, high-pitched, tiny "beep" when I did this - you couldn't even hear it 20 feet from the vehicle. Now everyone in the mall parking lot gets to know I've locked my MKC. Even worse, my driveway positions my MKC right next to my neighbor's living room and bedroom window - so when I park and confirm the MKC is locked, they get to know that rocmkc has arrived home. As you said above, "nothing like attracting attention when you're trying to be discreet or just mind your own business."

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wife's Lexus makes a few "ding" sounds that are audible maybe 20-30 feet away, and are much softer than the horn. To me it's the ideal way to handle the situation.

Turning off the car is like muscle memory anyway, I have to think about what I'm doing to not turn it off before getting out of the car.

As far as lock confirmation, I actually like the horn for that so I can find my car in a lot or get confirmation if I've already walked pretty far away, but I can see your point. If you single press to confirm does it flash the lights instead of beeping?

·
Registered
193 Posts
rockmkc,

Couldn't you push the lock button inside the car before getting out of the car--so as to not disturb the neighbours with the honk?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an MKC and also a 2014 Ford Escape. By the way, they drive nothing like each other (if there are still any doubters who think the MKC is essentially just a rebadged Escape) but they both have the same "horn function" when closing the door with the engine still running while the smart key is no longer in the vehicle. The simple solution (weather and traffic permitting) is to leave the driver's door slightly ajar while you are temporarily outside of the vehicle and the annoying honk won't ever be an issue. That's what I've acclimated myself to doing and it works fine for me. Just wanted to share my experience.

Reactions: Sschr and shirtmkc

·
Registered
90 Posts
rockmkc,

Couldn't you push the lock button inside the car before getting out of the car--so as to not disturb the neighbours with the honk?
OK, everyone -- I withdraw the complaint above. Guess I've just become a grumpy old man. Problem is -- after 10 years of using the "confirmation" lock process on my Acura (which resulted in a quiet "beep") -- old habits are hard to break. But it's a new car, so new habits will be developed.

Still don't understand the need for a HONK HONK but I promise -- I'll go away and you won't hear anything more from me about it!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I leave the smart key in the vehicle and lock the vehicle with the keypad on the B-pillar. When I return, I unlock the vehicle with the keycode. I realize not everyone would be comfortable with that tactic, but no beeping.

·
Registered
297 Posts
KMCCART:
I do the same thing.
The only thing with entering with the Keypad i never see the Welcome mat.

I live an apartment & this morning it was 22degrees & i used the second remote to start the car from my bedroom.

·
Registered
193 Posts
OK, everyone -- I withdraw the complaint above. Guess I've just become a grumpy old man. Problem is -- after 10 years of using the "confirmation" lock process on my Acura (which resulted in a quiet "beep") -- old habits are hard to break. But it's a new car, so new habits will be developed.

Still don't understand the need for a HONK HONK but I promise -- I'll go away and you won't hear anything more from me about it!
I didn't view it that you were complaining--saw it as a discussion. No problem with learning everyone's experiences with their new MKC's. Keep sharing your experiences please.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My MKX horn honks, too. Rather have that confirmation then a "chirp" that Im might not hear. :)
I had a 2011 MKX, you could turn off the honking option, it never honked on me when I got out of the car while it was running, and closed the door.

There is no option to turn this off on the MKC. That's my beef!

·
Registered
135 Posts
When we want to lock the car, we've found the simplest is to close the door and press on the top of any door handle -- the space where the raised lines are. There is no honk when doing this, and we don't have to dig the fob out of pocket or purse.

·
Registered
239 Posts
FloridaMatt, that is true when the car has been turned off, but the initial question was...is there a way to momentarily step out of the car after you have started it, and while it is still running, without getting the double beep, which occurs when you have the smartkey in your pocket/purse and leave the running vehicle.

If you do that, the double beep occurs as soon as you fully close the door and before you have the time to touch the ribbed area on top of the door handle to lock it. You can, however, successfully lock/unlock the running car this way with the smartkey on your person; but not without the double beep.

I have not tried leaving the smartkey inside the running car, getting out and trying to lock the door with the ribbed area to see what would happen. If it locks, then I guess you're only option to unlock it would be the keypad on the pillar...or use your spare smartkey.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FloridaMatt, that is true when the car has been turned off, but the initial question was...is there a way to momentarily step out of the car after you have started it, and while it is still running, without getting the double beep, which occurs when you have the smartkey in your pocket/purse and leave the running vehicle.

If you do that, the double beep occurs as soon as you fully close the door and before you have the time to touch the ribbed area on top of the door handle to lock it. You can, however, successfully lock/unlock the running car this way with the smartkey on your person; but not without the double beep.

I have not tried leaving the smartkey inside the running car, getting out and trying to lock the door with the ribbed area to see what would happen. If it locks, then I guess you're only option to unlock it would be the keypad on the pillar...or use your spare smartkey.
I believe that trying to lock the door with the ribbed lines on the door handle will not work if the key is inside the car, at least it shouldn't, unless you have a second key on your person, otherwise it would be too easy to lock your keys in the car, and that would be a real design flaw.

Let's face it, we can come up with all kinds of work-around attempts, not fully closing the door, leaving the key-fob in the car, etc. but at the end of the day this honk honk is just plain ridiculous that you cannot turn this option off.

Isn't it great when you pull into a gas station or up to a convenience store, get out to pick something up quickly, leave your family in the car, and every eye in the parking lot turns their head at you, almost like you want to show off your new car, or you're an idiot and don't know how to operate it properly.

Really people, I'm sorry but there is no forgiveness on this one! The only true workaround is Lincoln fixing this in a software update, which can easily be done if enough people complain.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It does make sense, does not increase gas consumption and does not increase wear and tear. Many newer cars shut themselves off when stopped and restart themselves to save gas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts