Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can understand why the 2.0L "C" has a towing limit of 3000# compared to the Escape's 3500#, due to the extra weight the "C" carries.

But why does the larger engine 2.3L "C" not tow 3000# also? Are they not sure of the durability of the 2.3L when loaded or is it not geared properly for towing?

Anyone know what the reasoning is/was?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't the 2.0L AWD "C" and the 2.3L AWD "C" share the same chassis?

Then why does the 2.3L engine have a lower tow rating?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rounded large numbers are easier to recall. Escape's platform was widened 1 inch for the MKC, just to note, that is quite costly. We know the MKC is like 200 heavier, than the Escape. Tow capacity is based on the vehicle's GVW limit. Suspension and Tire size also determine GVW. If were comparing a MKC with 2.0 FWD to a 2.3 AWD another 200, then there's also the additional optioned equipment weight of course. The GVW limit does not always increase accordingly, to which the Tow capacity must be lowered to satisfy the GVW limit. The Tongue weight of the loaded Trailer usually 10 - 15% of gross trailer weight is to be included in the Tow vehicles GVW limit. Therefore also while towing you must limit passengers and or cargo accordingly to remain within the GVW limit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed.

But why is the towing capacity of the 2.0L "C" listed as 3000# while 2.3L is rated at only 2000#?

Reactions: Groucho

·
Registered
524 Posts
Rounded large numbers are easier to recall. Escape's platform was widened 1 inch for the MKC, just to note, that is quite costly. We know the MKC is like 200 heavier, than the Escape. Tow capacity is based on the vehicle's GVW limit. Suspension and Tire size also determine GVW. If were comparing a MKC with 2.0 FWD to a 2.3 AWD another 200, then there's also the additional optioned equipment weight of course. The GVW limit does not always increase accordingly, to which the Tow capacity must be lowered to satisfy the GVW limit. The Tongue weight of the loaded Trailer usually 10 - 15% of gross trailer weight is to be included in the Tow vehicles GVW limit. Therefore also while towing you must limit passengers and or cargo accordingly to remain within the GVW limit.
thanks for outlining that, i wasn't completely sure about it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Agreed.

But why is the towing capacity of the 2.0L "C" listed as 3000# while 2.3L is rated at only 2000#?
As I was commenting just Escape to MKC and the 500 less. One would think the HP/TQ gains of the 2.3, Towing would be the same or a bit higher. Unless it was written up incorrectly and not corrected at this time. Not the first time I have seen that happen in information or instructions. If this is in fact correct, need the MKC engineers to comment on why of the 1,000 less capacity of the 2.3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts