Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I was driving to work and in the very same spot that I had a blowout in my Mustang, right after I bought it, I got a TPMS light in the MKC. To top it off, there was a Volvo on the side of the road right there with someone jacking up the car. Well, I didn't sense any rapid loss of air so I kept driving the ten minutes until the next town. Mind you, the whole reason I got this car is because I just had back surgery and didn't need to do anything hard on my back for a while. So changing a tire was out. So I went into a tire place and they said none of the tires were really low and they all just needed a few pounds.

"Great!" I thought, and was on my way. Only, my TPMS light never went out. I checked the manual and it states 2+ minutes of driving over 20 mph should turn the light off. I continued on the next ten miles to work with the light never going off. That was an hour ago. I just went outside and checked and the light's still on and the tires still don't look flat.

I WANT to trust the system since I did see that car pulled over in the same spot. Even better, that car pulled into the same tire place as I was leaving. But to further cloud the issue, no sooner had I told my wife about my tire light than she said she'd just gotten off the phone w/ her mom, who drivers a 2015 MKT and she said she had her light go on this morning for the first time. It is in the 50's for only the second or third time this season here. So I don't doubt it could have been initially triggered by weather. But I really want to believe there is an issue. But I wanted to see if anyone else has had a random TPMS light come on???

·
Registered
149 Posts
It could be a TPMS malfunction. If a system malfunction is detected (as opposed to a a tire pressure issue) the TPMS light remains on. Should be checked out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, I've had the car exactly 1 week as of 2 pm this afternoon, lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got into the car, drove 5 minutes toward town and the light went off. Glad it was nothing but thanks for the heart attack, Lincoln!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Got into the car, drove 5 minutes toward town and the light went off. Glad it was nothing but thanks for the heart attack, Lincoln!
Did you hit a hole? The TPS will trigger a warning for under and over inflation. A hole could trigger an over inflation if it is bad enough and your tires are a little over inflated. This time of year a cold morning will trigger a low reading if your tires were close to the lower limit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the tires were all a few pounds low. No potholes that I remember. What's odd about the cold tire thing is it happened about 30 mins into my trip. I had just stopped for gas and pulled back into traffic when it lit off.

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just quoting (sorta) the manual. The manual states is the car has to run 2+ minutes at 20 mph or greater with the correct pressure. I did shut the car off while the air was topped up. So it was basically two cycles. Whatever happened, glad it's off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts