Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took advantage of a Lincoln program intended to convert lessees into retail buyers combined with retail cash being offered to clear out remaining 2018 dealer stock amid waning volume to strike a deal good enough to make MKC actually worth owning without necessarily intending to drive it into dust - in lieu of leasing an ordered 2019.

Of course, this meant needing to choose from remaining units within a practical distance which my wife found desirable (more difficult than one might think). We ultimately located a fully optioned 2.3 Reserve - and even managed to sell back the silly 20’s for a set of AWD 19s with the cost difference deducted from the final price.

The only missing option is the factory Trailer/Tow Package, which is the least problematic because of how easily it can be added post-title without an exorbitant surcharge. The dealer even is activating Trailer Sway Control to make the package fully functional.

My only dilemma is choosing the best possible hitch hardware and retaining the Handsfree Liftgate Feature. Hopefully others here who’ve trod the same path can guide me.

My two primary choices are the Genuine Lincoln Accessories Hitch (Part FJ7Z-19D520-A) and the actual replacement part (which costs nearly twice as much). Despite the additional cost, the replacement part will install like the factory piece, requiring a different rear fascia piece for the hitch receiver to pass through.

I’d much prefer the far less expensive Accessory Item but have no way of knowing whether it also passes through the bumper fascia or if it’s designed to hang lower than the original design, beneath the entire bumper altogether like many aftermarket alternatives which I fear also may interfere with the Handsfree Liftgate. Because the Accessory description warns that new sensors may be needed, I’m afraid it somehow doesn’t manage to achieve original equipment functionality.

Has anyone experience with either of these items, including installing them in a manner that retained the Handsfree Liftgate feature? I’d be grateful for any available guidance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the factory installed trailer tow package and really like it but had to order the vehicle and wait ten weeks to get it.

I understand the retrofit hitch also requires a different sensor for the handsfree liftgate, as it senses motion on either side of the hitch instead of in the middle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get the Factory part. We've had two MKC's. One with the factory, one with an aftermarket. The Factory one sits up higher and is tucked away nicely. The handsfree liftgate works better with the factory one also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello. I personally installed an approved aftermarket hitch on my 2015 MKC Reserve with no problems or issues whatsoever. My “kick-to-open” feature worked just fine afterwards. I might add that my hitch was below the facia and was never a problem. I bought the proper hitch giving me the proper ball height. The installation instructions were excellent allowing a 3 1/2 hour installation start to finish. The dealer offered to do all electrical connections for $200, which I never did. My primary function was a 5 bike rack which worked to perfection also. Somewhere on this forum is a picture. I have moved on to a 2017 MKX and will be doing the same install soon. Hope this was helpful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts