Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 2015 2.3 with AWD 73K. Bought this vehicle damaged to restore for personal driving. Trans cooler was pierced during the accident so much of the fluid leaked out. There's no dipstick on this trans. I looked all over the internet and was unable find the exact reference needed to properly fill fluid so I thought posting this info will be helpful.

I found a video of the little brother Ford Escape that referenced a wrench type 7/16, 11 mm plug with a small hole that will drain excess fluid when filling trans from the top access filler hole. The procedure sites draining the fluid by removing the bottom plug in the center of the trans then filling with approximate 4.5 quarts of Mercon LV fluid. The next step is to pull the driver side wheel, locate the referenced plug, level the vehicle, run the engine and wait till there is little fluid coming out of the hole. Secure plug.

The MKC has a larger hole just aft of the driveshaft and slightly below. It takes a 55 Torx bit or hex allen wrench to remove the plug. I also ran the engine to make sure fluid was cycling through trans thinking this could affect the fluid level. Using a light I was able to see the fluid through the hole and add a small amount. If you don't want to remove the wheel, you could pull the plug and check the level with your little finger. This is a commonly used method to check rear axle differentials in RWD vehicles.

I'll note the fluid was dark (not burned) so I was glad I emptied the pan to add the 4 plus quarts. Most transmissions use 7 plus quarts so draining the pan only freshens up the fluid condition. The Escape y-tube author was a prior Ford mechanic who stated that changing the 4+ qts should be every 30K to avoid wear.
This is a relatively easy DYI procedure.

Sidebar: I restored another 15 MKC AWD for my wife. The trans acted up with unpredictable shifting problems so I had a shop rebuild the trans for a 3.2K expense. 2 WD MKC's will be less costly to rebuild as the 4WD version has a transfer case that's difficult to remove.

I'm currently trying to sort out a P0122 code the shop says relates to the throttle position sensor. Strange it is acting similar to it's pre-rebuilt condition.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If I were you I'd be probing that outbound circuit from your throttle position sensor to your ECM. Most logical idea is it you got a broken wire between the two

1 - 2 of 2 Posts