Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Lincoln MKC

Lincoln owner website tells me a new version of Sync 3 is available — version 2.3. My vehicle has 2.0 so it needs the update. The vehicle is connected to our WiFi. When I hit check for update it just searches but won’t finish the search. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I also have the notice and my 2016 does the same thing. Something new to look into this weekend. If the WiFi fails it will be plan "B" via memory stick.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Same problem on my 2017.
How can you get 2.3 to a memory stick?

The "How To" link should have instructions on the download process

·
Registered
65 Posts
Still unable to load Sync v2.3 via wi fi.
Have downloaded 2.3 to memory stick from Lincoln owner site, but cannot load to Sync in car as there is no Auxiliary for the usb in my 2017 MKC.
Any advice besides letting the dealer do it as the concerege on Lincoln chat recommended.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Still unable to load Sync v2.3 via wi fi.
Have downloaded 2.3 to memory stick from Lincoln owner site, but cannot load to Sync in car as there is no Auxiliary for the usb in my 2017 MKC.
Any advice besides letting the dealer do it as the concerege on Lincoln chat recommended.
Hi Chuck,

I have a '17 Reserve as well and I have 2 USB ports just below the screen in the compartment with the sliding door. I believe that's where you plug it in.

My Wi-Fi also just search and search, sometimes the spinning circle stutters a bit like it is receiving information, but nothing ever comes of it. I'm a bit wary of doing the USB route and figure I'll just let the dealership do it when I am due for my oil change next month.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No problem on finding the USB ports its finding the auxiliary icon on the screen in order to see the memory stick download.
On my previous 2015 it was with the music under sources.
Not there on my 2017.
When you plug in the stick it lights but nothing on the scree comes up.
The wi fi does not work on upload of 2.3.

·
Registered
733 Posts
No problem on finding the USB ports its finding the auxiliary icon on the screen in order to see the memory stick download.
On my previous 2015 it was with the music under sources.
Not there on my 2017.
When you plug in the stick it lights but nothing on the scree comes up.
The wi fi does not work on upload of 2.3.

I suspect they will push 2.3 via WiFi after it is downloaded via the memory stick and in use for a while... View it this way, you early installers (via memory stick) are probably considered beta users and Ford/Lincoln is waiting to see if there are any issues prior to a full WiFi push.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have tried at least three times to get it to load via WIFI, but no luck either.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Did you ever get to load 2.3 by memory stick?
If you did how?
No I have not. I may just wait for WiFi unless there is some pressing need to install it now. From what I read there is nothing in this release that jumps out at me..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I could not get my 2016 to update from 2.2 to 2.3 via wifi.

I downloaded and put the software on a memory stick using a mac. I had to move the files into the proper folder on the memory stick and rename them since the default unzip on a mac messes this up.

Anyhow I plugged the usb memory stick in (I have the carplay compatible usb hub) and eventually after a few minutes it said my system would update the next time it restarted if I remember correctly. So i restarted and it said updating software or something like that at the top of the screen. Eventually it finished and the next restart showed 2.3.

I have not noticed anything new yet with 2.3 ....

·
Registered
65 Posts
THE LATEST ON Sync 3 v2.3
Finally spoke with a vehicle tech team support member who advised that v2.3 is not working or available via wi fi or by memory stick.
The problem is now with “upstairs “ and no idea when it will be fixed.
If you try a download and get an error message like”404” or others contact them at 800 521-4140,option 1 then option 4.
Seems like this is it for the present.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was on the phone today with Lincoln support for over 55 minutes, and they could not get mine to update. We tried two master resets but no update. In the end, she said the techs said to wait a week and try again. She was frustrated with that answer, but she was very nice so I didn't call out BS. She suspected that I was having problems since mine is V 2.0.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi cmos2000.
You seem to be the only one to be able to load Sync 3 2.3 into the car by memory stick.
Can you provide any additional info on what you did?
Do you have wi fi in the car?
What year car,Sync 2 or 3, what is your Apple car play USB port in the car, did you do a reset first,was 2.0 at the start.
Seems as if you are now the expert.
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since the update seems to be unremarkable for content, my plan is to wait. I don’t understand why the update won’t happen on WiFi. That’s why I linked the House WiFi to my MKC. I also don’t understand why the Lincoln Owner website continues to announce its availability even though getting the update is troublesome. Poor testing on Lincoln’s Part???

·
Registered
13 Posts
2016 MKC which was running Sync v2.2 before the update to v2.3

I have wifi in the car but I have never been able to get an update to install that way (or even show an update as being available). When I updated to v2.2 last spring I had to also use a USB memory stick.

I also have the carplay compatible usb hub installed and car play works fine.

I used an empty generic 16gig memory stick that was fat32 formatted.

Mac users:
I downloaded the files from the Lincoln owners site on my mac and used finder to view the files. The mac does not unzip them properly as it does not create the proper folder. If you look at the files, two of them are just file names and the rest start with SyncMyRide\ and end in .gz

I created a folder called SyncMyRide on the USB and placed all of those files ending in .gz into that folder. I then changed their names to remove the SyncMyride\ from each file name. I also placed the autoinstall.lst and DONTINDX.MSA files at the top of the USB drive (if you view the USB drive you will see the two files and the folder SyncMyRide (which contains all the renamed .gz files)

Below is from memory so not 100% accurate......but I believe the sequence is close enough ....
I did not do a reset or anything special before I started this process.

I plugged the USB drive in the the car and started the car. The entertainment system worked as it normally did and I believe it gave no indication that it was installing software other then the blue light on my USB drive which was flashing which indicates the drive is being accessed. After some time (many minutes or more) the display said something like the next time the system restarts it will install the latest software. It may have also said I could remove the USB drive but I can't remember.

At that point I believe I shut the car off completely. I may have opened the door as well so that the entertainment shut off all the way. When I restarted the car the entertainment system showed a message at the top of the display that said something like the system software is being updated..... The system worked normally during this ....Eventually I believe it said it was complete or something like that... it may have also said the next time the system restarts it will be updated.

I turned the car off and possibly opened the door again so that the system shutdown all the way. When I restarted the car it then showed v2.3 in the settings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow,many thanks for all the info.
I’ll give it one more try and if no luck will wait for Lincoln to sort out the wi fi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
THE LATEST ON Sync 3 v2.3
Finally spoke with a vehicle tech team support member who advised that v2.3 is not working or available via wi fi or by memory stick.
The problem is now with “upstairs “ and no idea when it will be fixed.
If you try a download and get an error message like”404” or others contact them at 800 521-4140,option 1 then option 4.
Seems like this is it for the present.

So that was almost a month ago. I spoke with a tech last week, and these said they had no idea what was wrong, when it would be fixed. I just purchased a new MKC in Jan 1, and I can't get either the USB or WIFI working.

Clearly either not a priority for Ford/Lincoln, or something is very wrong!

Could anyone who did get the file post the update on a file share somewhere?

--mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought a new stick and downloaded Sync 3 2.3 to my computer and then into the stick.
Insert it into my car USB port and message says system is being upgraded.
Took about 30 minutes for the download and the install in the car each.
Took the stick back to the computer and followed instructions on how to inform Lincoln of the successful up to 2.3.
On my Lincoln owners site it now shows 2.3 as the latest in the car.
Never could get wi fi to work.
All download and follow up done through Lincoln owner site.
Have MKC 2017 which already had 2.2 installed by the dealer prior to delivery.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts