Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my '18 for almost a year now and yesterday is the first time I'm hearing really loud whining/electric noises coming from it whether I'm driving or anytime I open a door or for a few minutes after turning the engine off. It never used to do this. I've read around and see some have reported issues with the amplifier. Again, mine is NOT the THX system; it's whatever Lincoln uses as the stock audio. Did mine bite the dust? What has gone wrong with mine?

·
Registered
299 Posts
just one speaker or all of them are doing this? one would equal bad speaker or wire and possibly amp. all would equal amp issue disclaimer: I'm no expert. Is vehicle outside the bumper to bumper warranty? adjusting balance will help figure out if it is one or all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just one speaker or all of them are doing this? one would equal bad speaker or wire and possibly amp. all would equal amp issue disclaimer: I'm no expert. Is vehicle outside the bumper to bumper warranty? adjusting balance will help figure out if it is one or all.
I think it's just the sub. Music and bass itself is still normal but these noises are continually heard which takes the joy out of listening to anything. I scheduled a visit to the dealer but they can't get me in until October 18. I bought mine CPO which gave me two additional years of warranty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did more experimenting and was able to get rid of the noises by pulling out fuse #5 under the glove compartment which disables the subwoofer altogether. The manual states there are two fuses relating to the amplifier, #5 and #28, each being 20 amps. #5 is called "amplifier, THX amplifier" and #28 is called just "THX amplifier." First I tried pulling #28 for fun and I still heard weird noises. Then I also pulled #5 out. Now the subwoofer is totally off. I then plugged #28 in and the subwoofer is still off. All the other speakers are still working.

Before doing the above I played some bass-intensive songs and the subwoofer itself seems to work fine so I'm leaning toward the amplifier or some other related component that's gone bad. Since this happened two days ago I went to Lake Powell for a week and my car was parked outside in the sun the entire time so I wonder if something got too hot...

·
Administrator
692 Posts
Can’t say I have any clue on that one, mine is a non-THX and it began popping every time you would open the door. I finally figured out mine was a bad ACM. I actually went to do an update on the ACM and fried the module and when I replaced it I’ve never had the popping since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts