Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I apologize if this topic has been covered. I have only been on this site a couple of times & could not find a search feature. We are new to the Nashville area (moved from NJ) so I thought I should update the maps on my wife's 2016 MKC. After struggling a bit, I decided to have the dealer do it. I took it to the local Ford dealer who has serviced the vehicle since we moved here a year ago as the nearest Lincoln dealer is an hour away. They upgraded the original Sync 1 to Sync 3.0 & installed the "latest" map update.
I then realized that the street we live on is still missing. The first houses on our street were built a little over 2 years ago & we moved into our new home in Nov of 2019. We are in a major new subdivision in a town of 60,000 people about 20 minutes from downtown Nashville (not exactly in the middle of nowhere). The street certainly exists on Waze, Google Maps, etc as well as on my neighbor's 2020 Grand Cherokee GPS. And of course that makes me wonder what else is missing. It also makes me hesitate to upgrade the maps on my 2018 Volvo.
I spent well over an hour on the phone with Lincoln Customer Support. They seemed a bit unsure but did confirm that the most recent Map update was installed. They were unable to help me further & suggested I contact the dealer (Ford or Lincoln) as the dealership might have different tech departments at Lincoln that they could contact. The dealer said they would make a few calls but I have not heard back in over a week so I thought I would see if anyone else has run into this issue or has another suggestion. FYI, between the Sync update & the Maps Update, the dealer charged $360. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It was in 2016 that Ford transitioned from Sync version 2 to Sync version 3. I was surprised that you said it was updated from Sync 1 to Sync 3. Is this what the dealer told you? I would venture that is they updated maps then they updated your original Sync 3 with a higher version. If you had sync 1 they would have had to pull the whole unit out and replace it with a Sync 3 unit. That would have bee thousands of $$$ for Ford. My 2015 Mkc came with Sync 2 version 3.7 which I then updated to version 3.08 and later I updated this to version 3.10, all for free. All are still Sync 2.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I am confused. Our MKC is an early 2016. We picked it up in Sep of 2015. The screen clearly said Sync 1 Version 1.01 & the customer support people at Lincoln confirmed that. We had never updated the software until this recent attempt. I thought I could update the maps myself but the Lincoln website would not accept our modem serial number. Lincoln told me that was because it was Sync 1 & that I had to upgrade the software to Sync 3.0 in order to load the latest maps update. That is when I took it to the dealer. Maybe the dealer has not gotten back to me because of what you say, that it would have been necessary to pull the whole unit (they told me they did the upgrade with a laptop). I was surprised that they had to or could update to Sync 3. I just thought a simple software upgrade was all that was needed. Guess I will have to chase the dealer & or Lincoln for answers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sync 3 came out in early 2016 and there may still have been some systems with Sync 2. Sync 2 was generally green and white and the latest update is version 3.10, but it's still Sync 2. Sync 3 is blue and white and I believe the latest is version 3.4. I'm thinking you likely have Sync 3 starting with version 1.1 and then upgraded. In any event the colors of your screen should verify which version you have. Sync 1 was a basic version from a few years back and it's doubtful a 2016 Lincoln MKC would have that. Have a look at this: Ford Support | Can I upgrade my older SYNC® system to SYNC 3?. I'm just wondering if the dealer was dishonest or is this just confusion between the various Syncs and their individual version updates.

·
Super Moderator
338 Posts
Sync 3 came out in early 2016 and there may still have been some systems with Sync 2. Sync 2 was generally green and white and the latest update is version 3.10, but it's still Sync 2. Sync 3 is blue and white and I believe the latest is version 3.4. I'm thinking you likely have Sync 3 starting with version 1.1 and then upgraded. In any event the colors of your screen should verify which version you have. Sync 1 was a basic version from a few years back and it's doubtful a 2016 Lincoln MKC would have that. Have a look at this: Ford Support | Can I upgrade my older SYNC® system to SYNC 3?. I'm just wondering if the dealer was dishonest or is this just confusion between the various Syncs and their individual version updates.
Yet this is all correct, except 3.3 is that last version of sync 3, 3.4 is a hacked version from Russia, in our car it is factory in 2019 and newer cars

Left is sync 3 right is sync 2

I think lenko was correct you had sync 3 v 1.01 and they updated you to 3.0 or higher. Good news is you now have Android auto and if you replace the USB hub you have apple carplay

Ford-Sync-2-vs-3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
338 Posts
Btw welcome to Tennessee, I am just a few hours East of you near the Smokies

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I have not yet been able to communicate with the dealer, possibly because they are busy with snow related work. But what you say makes more sense. I must have had Sync 3 Version 1.01 & I now have Version 3.10. But that still does not explain why the maps update does not seem current. Unfortunately, other than my own street, I do not recall other addresses that were out of date so I can determine if they have been updated. I guess all I can do is follow up with the dealer &/or Lincoln again. I have no reason to think the dealer has been dishonest!
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got someone at Lincoln support. At first they told me that my update (Version NA 1 19) is the latest update but could not say when it was released?? (I am not impressed with their service)!!)
After pressing the issue, I was put on hold & they came back & said the update was dated July 2020. When I explained my missing street, they suggested going to www.mapcreator.here.com to report the missing street so it can be added in a future update. I'm not sure what I expected but that wasn't it!

·
Super Moderator
338 Posts
Yeah that's the same map version I have on mine, I believe it's a maps are dated from 2019 based on the level of accuracy around me. These built-in nav units seem to be a couple years behind even with up-to-date maps. But like I said you got Android auto now, that'll have your street on it(y):)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good to know. We all learn with information being passed. In the past there were a lot of complaints about Sync 2 (prior to 2016.) After being on the Forscan site and XDA and many others, I was able to get a lot of information and tweak and update that system in my 2015 MKC where I find that Sync 2 is actually pretty good. There are still many that are updating their Sync 2 to Sync 3 successfully, but I find it cost prohibitive and unnecessary the way Sync 2 works in my vehicle. With Forscan I was able to remove DRL in my Mustang and I then wired up the fogs as DRL and they work great. Did a few things with both grandson's 2012 and 2016 F150s like shutting of their faulty TPMS settings and enhancing a few other features. Now with the latest Forscan there is an ability to update various modules with latest strategies. Lots of stuff you can play with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts