Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried some music on a flash drive in the USB jack. The MKC allows browsing and selection by ALbum, Artist etc. When I removed the flash drive and plugged in Android cellphone which also has the same music albums. I couldn't browse. I had to start from the phone and select one song at a time. Also, there seems to be a conflict on selection with SYNC 3. It's all very confusing. Can someone explain?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a dedicated 16 gb flash drive that I use for music, in one port, the other is just for my phone. That is all I plug in, if anyone needs to charge anything I use a USB adapter in the 12v socket.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So I tried some music on a flash drive in the USB jack. The MKC allows browsing and selection by ALbum, Artist etc. When I removed the flash drive and plugged in Android cellphone which also has the same music albums. I couldn't browse. I had to start from the phone and select one song at a time. Also, there seems to be a conflict on selection with SYNC 3. It's all very confusing. Can someone explain?
It's hard to explain but your thumb drive is a storage device and your phone has a system OS (for phones) and applications. when you first plug in the mkc's computer which we know as "Sync" makes a determination of what is plugged in. Since it's a phone it will initiate it as a phone and allow your apps to work. So now you're playing music via your app.
the other way (thumb drive) the mkc just sees music files and Sync then becomes THE application to play the files.
Sync can't treat the plugged in item as two different things.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is my wife and I both use the car (sometimes together and sometimes singly) and we both have a phone - she an iphone and me an Android. That means that one of the slots has to be used for the music flashdrive. IF I can use the music in both phones, then I don;t have to pull one of the phones cables to insert a flashdrive. Is there a way around this issue?

·
Registered
190 Posts
well the car you bought doesn't have 3 usb ports in that spot. so you'll have to wait until Ford/Lincoln will add more in 202x.
Singly solution: Buy a Y split multi cable like this and see if that works. but I assume only ONE phone can be connected to sync at a time.
Togetherly will never work with Sync (To my knowledge).
check to see if there is a usb port in the arm rest for pure charging or buy a cigarette adapter to usb for charging phone (no connectivity to Sync).

now there are music apps like iheartradio that work to play music without your need to hit next for the next song.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I thought that there was another USB port on the rear of the centre console just below the A/C vent or maybe even inside the centre storage compartment?

Reactions: 2015 MSM

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hard to explain but your thumb drive is a storage device and your phone has a system OS (for phones) and applications. when you first plug in the mkc's computer which we know as "Sync" makes a determination of what is plugged in. Since it's a phone it will initiate it as a phone and allow your apps to work. So now you're playing music via your app.
the other way (thumb drive) the mkc just sees music files and Sync then becomes THE application to play the files.
Sync can't treat the plugged in item as two different things.

I understand your point. So what I tried was to allow my Galaxy phone to connect only through the bluetooth not the USB. Sync 3 saw all the songs in the cell phone the same way as when a flash drive with the same albums and songs was connected to the USB. Sync also saw contacts but would not navigate through Google Maps. However, when I connect the phone with a cable to the USB, the car saw one album and could navigate thru Google Maps. I'm not sure how it sees that one album and not the others. (Albums are in the SD card not the phone memory) Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts