Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Vibration at idle

17K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  LeeB 
#1 ·
New MKC, 2.0 FWD, with about 460 miles. While stopped in "D" (as at a stop light), at times there is a noticeable vibration that I can feel mostly through the steering wheel. While any car is going to have some degree of vibration, about 50% of the time the level is enough to be irritating, especially in a vehicle that retails for > $46K.

Anyone have a similar experience? No need to complain if this a "they all do that" item.

#2 ·
I haven't noticed or felt any vibration to any degree really let alone to the point of being irritating.

Reactions: LeeB
#3 ·
Thanks!

#4 ·
Not here either. From P to R to D (change in direction) there is a bit more drivetrain 'bounce' than I am used to, even for a FWD. But nothing really raggy at idle. What is your idle rpm? Does it go away if you put in in N?

#8 ·
No bounce upon shifting that I've noticed. Idle in D when stopped is about 800 rpm. When I'm experiencing the vibration, shifting into N reduces but doesn't eliminate it.

#6 ·
I don't have a persistent vibration per say..but what I have is a little different. The first week I had my MKC and I hit the push button gear to take it from R to D, the car literally slammed into gear. I thought at first I pressed it wrong (idiot check, first time I am using a push button gear) and maybe pushed two buttons at once. It brushed it off. It happened again a few more times in the next 10 days or so. It did not happen every time I put it into a different gear though and then seemed to kind of go away all together for a month or so.

At that time(month into driving) I noticed a weird shift going in lower gear (going between 25-35MPH), it seemed to kind of hold back a little, not quite a hesitation, then would fling me forward (I literally move in my seat). Again this comes and goes and the push button gear problem now does not slam into gear but it kind of "shakes" like its going to stall (rough idle?) when I push a gear. Its brief but it almost feels like its struggling to go into gear. I notice particularly backing out of my driveway when going from the R back to drive. It also kind of shudders sometimes when I pull in my garage and put it into P.

The shifting between 25-35 is almost like a slingshot lately. It holds back then flings me forward into gear. It is more noticable than any other gear shift (although I feel my MKC does not shift as smoothly as previous cars I've driven). Perhaps just the way the EcoBoost engine works? Husband has 2013 Escape Titanium with 2.0L (I have 2.3 in MKC) and we don't notice it.

#15 ·
I literally could have written this myself! I am pretty unhappy with the MKC. Not "luxury" at all.
I also find at times the rpm is too high for the speed I'm traveling. Also, while driving at times as the car shifts into the next higher gear it makes like a clunk sound that jerks me a bit in my seat. Definitely does not shift smoothly. Road noise is ridiculous on certain pavements, my side mirrors don't always open/close-they get stuck in the motion and just click. There's a very cheap sounding rattle/tinny sounding like something maybe be loose upon start up..all of these things happen at different times so it's brings me such JOY when the dealer is "unable to duplicate" the problem. 😤 And wiping down the leather on a regular basis because wearing dark clothing is a no-no is really a pain in the rear.

MKC was already at dealer for one week when my center controls for heat/air/radio/airbag just stopped working-at start up. Dead/no power.

Passenger airbag was off while my 130lb daughter was seated.

Every time I start the car I just hope for the best. 2017 2.0 MKC. Worse new car I ever had. My lease can't be up soon enough.

#7 · (Edited)
Sounds like maybe the Torque Converter issue. Mine has been doing that. There is a TSB on it. other owners have commented on it elsewhere in the forum. The Converter is replaced per the TSB. Or there is also a separate TSB to reprogram the PCM to deal with harsh shifting or shuddering between park and the drive or reverse gears. Mine is in the dealer now for this, as well as the heat/cool seats fix and Sirius fix.

Reactions: rocmkc
#9 ·
I did recall people talking about the symptoms of the torque converter and although some of the symptoms sound similar I am not certain that's my problem. My car never made a noise while shifting and although the push button gear probably started off slamming hard like described, that only happened in the first week or so. The push button gear "shudder" also comes and goes (or more accurately it stands out more at times).

Overall what stands out more right now is the "slingshot" shift in the lower gear. Just seems overly harsh and overall my shifts seem "more spirited" This is in comparison with 2006 SRX and 2013 Ford Escape. Maybe not a problem but just different?

#10 ·
That 800 rpm does seem about right. I agree with others that a dealer trip to reflash the trans software makes sense. In the meantime, I might suggest tuning the AC off to see if that changes the harmonics of the drivetrain enough to smooth it out-it will probably idle a bit higher rpm. If that helps, the dealer might be able to bump up that idle speed a little. Or maybe a motor mount is not tight enough.

Reactions: LeeB
#11 · (Edited)
Interestingly, switching off the AC increases the RPMs for just an instant, and they drop back to about 800 such that I can't tell much difference in the vibration with the AC off. Probably the computer control system maintains the idle at 800 regardless of the load. It will go back to the dealer soon. In addition to the vibration issue, the glove box is difficult to to open, and I want to look into having the Siriuis TSB performed. I'm not certain that quality is Job One at Ford any longer, if it ever was. Love the MKC, but it has some issues that are borderline insulting in a car that costs so much.

#13 ·
Zero vibration in any gear, at any speed....
mmoretti;
This is a shot in the dark,hard to assess a situation without testing, but here goes...the symptom you describe usually relates to the shift fork/ planetary lock in the trans...when you stop and hit park OR any other gear while on ANY degree of a grade, you are essentially putting the entire car's weight on the trans lock out ( this is why it IS recommended in the owners manual to use the hand (electronic) brake).... This will never happen on a manual trans because of the counter rotation of the input shaft and clutch disengagement ....you can still be rolling back and still slide into first;let the clutch out and it fully engages.
Auto trans work quite differently, try the hand brake BEFORE you place it in park,OR drive before the weight of the car rests on the shift fork....that "clunk" you get is actually wearing the shift fork lock tab down rapidly....just a suggestion.
If I stop on an incline at my house to say, check the mail, and put it in "P"...when I get back in, if the hand brake was NOT activated BEFORE I placed it in park....it clunks pretty hard to release the lock, regardless of weather I was going uphill OR downhill,the effect is the same!
Your description points to this phenomena... Activating the hand brake takes the load of the entire car on the locked brakes, rather than on the trans shift fork lock! ..... try it out!

#18 ·
No. I took it to the dealer shortly after purchase. Technician's response: "They all do it." I asked to see another MKC on the lot, and it also had some vibration at idle, although not quite as much as mine. I decided to live with it, and it's maybe a little better over time. But not what I'd expect from a car that cost over $40K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.