Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s coming up on 3 years since the build date on our ‘15 and I intend to change out the coolant. I can’t find the proper procedure anywhere, and the radiator drain looks nearly impossibly hard to get to. Yes I know its not needed but I’m doing it anyway. Anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Video was great!

Thanks, that's exactly was I looking for! :smile

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm not sure that method actually drains the block completely - I watched it with no sound... I personally would use the dealer to do this closer to the recommended interval.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm not sure that method actually drains the block completely - I watched it with no sound... I personally would use the dealer to do this closer to the recommended interval.
I sorta doubt the dealership is going to drain the block for a standard drain quote. I would bet they would sell you a "flush". Either way, as long as you got most of it out and do it in & near the recommended increments you should be fine. 25+ years ago it was common for radiators to 'go bad' but newer technology and design have them lasting 2-3x longer. And as long as the mixture is right you'll never overheat. If you're worried after a non 100% drain -- A $5-10 hydrometer can test it as much as you want to make sure you're good. In fact save yourself some hassle and test it before you replace the current fluid.
Historically both my Explorer's thermostats went bad before I needed to change the fluid so I was forced to change it early - same for my GMC Envoy. So I might suggest when you drain your fluid you replace the original thermostat with a high quality thermostat.

my 1.9 cents

1 - 5 of 5 Posts