Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lincoln comes with Apple Carplay and really enjoy using it. Lincoln is my first vehicle that has Carplay capability, I love to use it every day going to work and returning home. However, I found it is a bit annoyed to have to connect my iPhone to the infotainment with a cable every time. The cable is too long and a bit messy to use, and there are a number of times I forgot my phone completely in the car and has to go down all the way from my office to the car park to fetch it. I wish there is a wireless carplay function instead of wired one so I don't need to plug the phone into the infotainment system every again. Has anyone had the same experience & thought?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2015 that I updated to sync3 and appreciate the android auto. I too have wished for the wireless connection but my understanding is that this type of connection to the head unit requires installed hardware that isn't present. I have read that some sort of usb dongle may be possible to develop that would allow for this wireless connection to the head unit, but so far no such product has been developed or released to the market. In the meantime - we simply have to see what develops along this line and keep using the cable until something better comes along.

·
Registered
2017 Lincoln MKC
18 Posts
Plenty of videos on utube as to setting up car play wireless. No modifications needed to the head unit. Adapter boxes available on line, for a price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yah - I see that now. It has been a while since I've looked at this.

I stand corrected. If you search amazon there are shipping options available - each it seems with a plus and minus. One feature to look for in these devices is that it should support OTA (over the air) updates. Since the software base is in continuous development - firmware updates will be important to maintain the function.

I've been of two minds about this sort of device. If you do primarily short around town trips I see the convenience and would want one. Personally my present vehicle use case involves longer trips where I want my phone to charge as I drive - so I usually have to connect a cable anyhow.

·
Administrator
623 Posts
I have been using Carlinkit for about 2 years. It is very dependable, of course wireless CarPlay kills the iPhone battery. The only negative is the audio has probably a 2 second delay which will cause issues talking over each other and video audio sync issues if you are watching a video

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking forward to your report.
Sorry for waiting long.
Any update: I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly. I connected to the device directly via WiFi and then update it. It works equally if not better than plugging into the USB port. Only had to do an initial setup. Occasionally it takes a few seconds to register but most of the time it is already connected by the time I start the car. Now I can leave the iPhone in my pocket .Very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They are convenient - the only problem I see with them is they do run down your battery faster because of the wifi usage, but for around town trips you can't beat the convenience (and socket wear and tear) of the device.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you guys know carlinkit 4.0 has been released? Its exterior material seems like carbon fiber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts