Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit I have not pored through the owners guide yet.
The question is: how to protect and preserve that beautiful wood trim inlay on the doors and dash? I feel the urge to treat it with some sort of protectant.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I admit I have not pored through the owners guide yet.
The question is: how to protect and preserve that beautiful wood trim inlay on the doors and dash? I feel the urge to treat it with some sort of protectant.
If you find the information in the owner's manual, please let me know because I could find nothing. I called the service department at our dealership a couple of times to get information so that we could detail/protect our car ourselves and got no help whatsoever.

Our car is garaged AND we have windshield shades that we use when the car is parked in a parking lot for any period of time, but we too would like to know what to use on the wood trim to prevent it from eventually drying out and cracking.

·
Registered
795 Posts
yes, I questioned this as well. My wood has always been sealed. I actually asked my dealer's detail department as few weeks ago and still waiting to hear...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hmmm? one would think others have the question as well. I will dig some more.
thanks,
WES
The problem for us is that we wanted to know what products could be used that would not change the original appearance of the materials used to build the car. For example, protecting the dash with a product that would not give it a "shiny" appearance or protecting the wood without the risk of changing the color, etc.

·
Registered
214 Posts
yes, I questioned this as well. My wood has always been sealed. I actually asked my dealer's detail department as few weeks ago and still waiting to hear...
What's a little frustrating is that the information shouldn't be that difficult to get, yet the dealerships don't seem to have it. Our customer service rep even tried to get suggestions/information from Dearborn with no success.

The last time I called the service department at our dealership, I was referred to O'Reilly's. They suggested having one of O'Reilly's people come out to the parking lot, look at the car, and then take me back in and tell me what to buy. If they (the dealership) can't tell me, how is someone at O'Reilly's going to know?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did some research on how to take care of zebrano wood and all I could come up with was to use Watco oil. My hesitation at applying anything is that you don't know what was applied, if anything, at the factory.

In my research, the best I could find was to apply Watco oil. Wipe it on, let it soak in for about 1/2 hr. and buff off. Wait 24 hours. Rinse and repeat until you get the finish you want. I haven't bought any Watco oil yet so I can't say how it works from personal experience.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The market is filled with items hopping you will purchase. As detail orientated as I am, and an excellent wood worker, I never gave it a second though. As long you're not abusive I think it is quite capable of taking care of it self. Be it bare, stained, poly sealed, whatever the finish, I never use anything else afterwards. If it cracks it wasn't any good to begin with. If it gets splattered, just a water damp enough clean cloth, well unless it is one of my rarer bare wood items.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts